200tdi fuel injection pump

My FI pump has started leaking from the pipe union side - I've read the various posts about the failed o rings in that area and read up on the full removal and refit methods. Pump has done between 160,000 - 200,000 miles so could probably do with a full overhaul.

I've got several options -

1) Put van into local independent Landy garage who does stuff for me off and on and I know them well, get pump removed by them and serviced by the local main Bosch experts a few hundred metres away. Van off road for several days (I called the Bosch folks and they say they'll need at least two days).

2) Buy the pulley tool and remove pump myself, take to Bosch experts for overhaul. Refit and hope for best, not an area of tinkering I'm entirely comfortable with and although the various walk-through videos I've watched are really helpful, there appears a lot to go wrong (!) and I'd be doing this outside in winter on drive which is not appealing.

3) Buy recon pump unit off ebay, take van to garage and have them swap out for old one. Benefit is that it would only have the van off the road for a day and minimal hassle.

Downside of latter option is that I'm not using a local Bosch expert (if anything goes pear-shaped) and I've not got any idea of how good the refurb unit will be and if problems arise it's a potential pain.

Cost is obviously a major factor and Option 1 is the dearest. And option 3 is the cheapest, so is attractive!

The supplier I've seen for the refurb unit is Bob Beck Diesel in Leamington Spa. Anyone used them? If you have and would like to offer an opinion either post here or send me a PM I'd be grateful. Any alternatives you can suggest are also welcome.

Thanks.

That's the way I've gone with it. I have a 200Tdi with a leak injection pump. I bought a spare pump for £80 but the settings have been fiddled with and I want it standard. I was advised that I could swap the leaking parts over and copy the settings off my current pump but have decided to just get the spare one re-conditioned (few hundred quid and then it's done for another 200k) and then swap the pumps over in one day. Like you I don't want to be without the vehicle.

I have one here I was about to list as spares or repairs. Changed for a mate as it appeared to be leaking. When reassembled I also noted that 2 of his bleed off pipes were ssplit and fuel was running back down the injector pipes so there is a small possibility that the pump never was leaking!!

I would check that first.

Other wise I was going to offer the pump for £50 plus courier cost (roughly £15 at a guess) if you were interested. Genuine 200tdi defender pump.

Why bother with buying a tool to keep pump in place? Just rip the front open and undo the timing belt. It will only add an hour to the total time.

Aye good point. After looking at the how-to videos and watching whats needing doing I think I might agree, given the timing belt will be replaced too.

Yeah right, I want some of what he's smoking.....

Did the timing belt on my 200 a few weeks ago. By the time I'd finally got all the seized studs out it was a day and a half's work. Bolts around the water gallery were seized in the block and the timing case had to be removed, which then had to be resealed, after we'd finally removed the timing pulley from the crank, and done a proper cleaning up job.

If the belt isn't due, but a tool.

Hour's job my ar*e

Just to state, when I did swap the aforementioned pump I made a locking tool. Used the spare funny metal disc thingie that would come out when you take the bolts off the pulley (I will try and find the spare one and be sure to send it with the pump). The disc is used to centralise things and make sure the fixing bolts go in the right place. Then I simply drilled 2 holes in a piece of steel and used suitable bolts/washer combinations to bolt through into the belt pully. The pump came off and bnew one went back on and started first time and ran great so it must have worked! If I can find the bits I will send them too

Yes...about the only saving grace...300 timing belt can be done without draining the coolant...bit of a pig it needing different tools to the 200 though...discovered we didn't have a tool to remove the timing pulley on a 300 when we did one a fortnight ago!

Just to state, when I did swap the aforementioned pump I made a locking tool. Used the spare funny metal disc thingie that would come out when you take the bolts off the pulley (I will try and find the spare one and be sure to send it with the pump). The disc is used to centralise things and make sure the fixing bolts go in the right place. Then I simply drilled 2 holes in a piece of steel and used suitable bolts/washer combinations to bolt through into the belt pully. The pump came off and bnew one went back on and started first time and ran great so it must have worked! If I can find the bits I will send them too

Good man, thanks. Really appreciate it. Cheque went in the post 1stC. (once I found a PO that was actually open!)