Another one joins the 21st century

FridgeFreezer

For ages I've been telling myself that the Rangie was just a daily driver and not to be tinkered with beyond what's absolutely necessary.

However, after several weeks of cr*p running for no obvious reason I decided that fitting the MS ECU that's been sat on the desk for months really was necessary :D

This was one of my slower MS installs, it's taken me since about 12.00 including tidying everything up and cooking lunch, a whopping four hours :(

Hardest parts were getting the right adapter for the plenum vacuum feed (it's not metric even though M16 will screw in about 3-4 turns happily) and welding the lambda sensor into the exhaust - the welder and the jack live several miles apart, I could've really done with both together <_< . Ended up using a mirror and colourful language instead :rolleyes:

I've not driven it yet, but it starts and idles much nicer than it used to. It's currently on Dan's fuel map, but having MS in a daily driver should allow me to get some decent datalogging in to fine-tune the map.

Once lunch is finished it's in with the air-temp sensor and then off for a drive to the lab to work on the 109 B)

Oh blimey... :rolleyes:

Well it drives lovely, I tried it against a few benchmarks on the way home, a steep motorway sliproad where it previously struggled to be doing 50-60 as you joined the carriageway saw me zipping up at (ahem) just over 70 B) without having to try. Also maintains a steady motorway cruising speed uphill and down with no more than 25% throttle, which certainly wasn't the case before. Response is good, idle is a bit rich but that's to be expected. It doesn't randomly try to stall when engaging drive which was the case before.

Starts from cold fine, the fuel map is a bit rich still (+15% in places) but the lambda sensor tunes it out nicely, and if you nail it (in the name of science of course :D ) it goes rich and stays there, which is what you want.

Only adjustment to Dan's map was to add a 1ms priming pulse which causes it to run the fuel pump for 2-3sec when you switch the ignition on, lets you know the ECU is working and fuel pump is OK (Dan's fuel pump is activated by his rear window heater switch :unsure: )

Datalogging has been going on so hopefully a refined fuel map will be along soon - Dan's is still only a map that was thrown in by Dave H for the 109 and tweaked inexpertly by me.

All in all it's wafting along as a Range Rover should - next task is to remove the AFM and perhaps fit a bigger air filter (110 V8) in the space freed up. I do think the Lucas ECU was unhappy and not just the usual level of being a bit carp. I will have it open and see if anything presents itself, if it's terminal it will provide another case to build a patented LucaSquirt into :D

Rog - If I'm oop that way I will try to pop in, I have confirmed what's IMHO the easiest way to wire this lot up to a stock RR loom and will be writing it up when I get a mo'.

I think Markie wins although I'm less likely to be passing on business in France :( more like Swansea at the moment, not my favourite place <_<

There is a backlog of MS builds in my loft right now - Ulf and Rog are front of the queue just waiting for the odd bit or bob.

Does Bertha drive at the moment then Dan? Bringing her to the club meet tonight? :P

After a small failure to start just now (scrapyard battery not quite as strong as hoped :( ) I have changed the warm cranking pulsewidth to 4ms, hopefully this has sorted it.

Mark - it looks a total shed right now, I drilled all the spot welds out on the rear wings in preparation for new* ones which I'm about to go and (try to) remove from a pick-up, which will then need cutting down and rivetting to the old tub... eeeh it never ends :rolleyes:

It should be rolling out into the sunshine** pretty soon though.

* = OK, used. I'm not paying £150 a side for new ones!

** = Or p*ss*ng rain more likely <_<