Other steel rims for wider track / more steering room?

xychix

On my sIII 109 (1980) is on 16" rims with R16 7.5 tyres. As far as I'm aware this should be default.

However on steering the tend to touch the chassis.

Does anyone know what the factory ET-value (off center thingy) of the rims?

Is this an issue on default rims? (if yes, i need better ones one day. If no, my rims are not original :P )

Adjusting the steering stops to prevent the tyre rubbing is just a cope out and will give you less steering lock.

For reference all UK standard steel wheels for these vehicles are 16" (15" for some export markets).

But there are different width rims and they have different offsets.

There are also many different tyres. When you say R16 7.5, I presume you actually mean some "7.50" tyres. R16 would mean Radial 16".

While this may have been standard fitment, there is a lot of variance in the width of 7.50 tyres and some today are just re-branded 235/85R16's which are actually 1-1.5" wider. Tread pattern will also make a big difference.

A standard Land Rover steel wheel is I think 5.5j wide and I don't know the offset. But few people opt for these if they want to run different tyres.

If you want to keep the Land Rover look, then your best bet is to find some 130 rims, sometimes called 1 Ton rims. These are wider, but with a better off set.

Here is a chart of widths and offsets:

LRRimoffset.png

Be warned, a wider rim with a deeper front dish, while it will clear the spring/chassis on full lock. Might cause issues with body work or even make the tyre stick out of the arch.

Another option would be to go for some 1" wheel spacers. Essentially these do nothing different to just adjusting the offset of your current set of rims.