Clunk From Wiper Motor

That could be a plan Barry. Mind you gawd knows how much a machine shop would charge to machine out the bushes and fit custom ones to the size if the gear shaft?

Maybe one of the tame machinists on the forum might wander past this thread and give us an idea of cost ....

Yep its a DLW000020 i bought. Genuine as well as i couldnt remember if the one i had originally was a genuine part or pattern.

As you can see its been a while since i bought it lol.

Interested to to find out if you can hear anything from yours Paul.

Ralph thats an interesting point you make about changing gear shaft. The problem is, it just seems to be moulded in. No obvious fixings. :(

Mmmmmm, looks like I owe you an apology, mine clunks! Never heard it over the general Defender clatter……...

http://vid260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/IMG_1571_zpsdqh2olky.mp4

Looks like I have an issue either the wiper rack tube or the washer tube is moving with the wipers, oh well the dash top needs to come off to reroute the washer tubing anyway……..

I managed to restrain from swearing somehow! I hate rattles and squeaks and always try to find and resolve them! Madness with a 90 really!

Drives the pink one mad when I'm asking is it at the front or the back, trying to pinpoint where it is, currently the catflap rear door rattles on its hinge pin on a decent pothole, the roof lining has to come out to sort it, I will probaly make some nylon hinge pins or a nylon bush if there is room, so its not metal on metal.......

Keeps me off the streets!.....

Id have been swearing my ass off... ;)

Im the same with rattles. Gotta find them. Thats how i know i need to fix the clunk from wiper motor. Every time i used the wipers id be swearing.

Have you noticed if the rack tube is connected into the wheelboxes properly?

are the wheelbox back plates nuts fully tight, the tube flared ends are only gripped by the wheelbox.

are you sure the 'clunk' isn't just the wipers changing over as they change wipe direction ? as the gear is within the motor casing & should be well lubricated & kept in location by the drive shaft of the motor, it would have to be extremely loose to clunk when in motion.

I think the tube that connects the 2 wheelboxes is probably a bit loose and moving with the inner cable, my wheelboxes are mounted upside down to normal so that the vent levers dont foul on the tube.

I am pretty sure that my clunk is just the linkage changing direction theres very little soundproofing in there so is noticable without the engine running, so I will live with it......I wouldnt be surprised if they all did it, I seem to remember my old V8 90 being noticable, but that didnt clatter like a tdi.......

Paul

Seeing as ive now tried 2 different td5 gears in 2 different 200tdi motors, im starting to think they just dont like each other.

I have a feeling that when you tighten the intermediate tube its still gonna clunk :( Maybe not quite as bad mind you ;)

Im erring more towards simons modification.

Posts #6 & #14 of this thread http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=76349

Cheers

Thanks for the link, I may eventually alter mine back to satndard wheel boxes using the td5 ones as shown in the link to bush the bulkhead holes, the td5 wheel boxes are not vey robust compared to the earlier all metal ones......

Keep us informed please, needforspeed!

Paul

Yep il keep you posted Paul.

Just trying to find cheapest place for genuine wheelboxes. At the moment its looking like thexmod. They are advertising PRC8495 at £15 each inclusive of vat. Just waiting on them getting back to me regarding whether they are genuine or not.

If they are its the deal of the century as genuine ones on ebay are about £40 EACH!!

Edit: Am i correct in thinking that all the xmod stuff will be genuine?

Try here, I have had nothing but good things from this company, put in the part number and you get a choice of supplier, so you can make an informed decision and not just hope not to get the dreaded blue box......genuine Land Rover part number PRC8495 is £22.98 plus vat/mail from the above, there are 5 choices of wheelbox, Britpart, Britpart OEM, Allmakes, Bearmach and Genuine LR.....

The difference between Britpart and Britpat OEM is the straight Britart item is not necessarily to OEM spec and probably made of cheese or similar, OEM should be to the same satndard of material and quality as the genuine item, just not in LR packaging.........

Good Luck!

Paul

Oops nearly forgot the link!

http://www.lrdirect.com/PRC8495-Wiper-Motor-Wheel-Box-S3-90-110/?sfi=prc8495