WTB: Series 3 88" hood/bonnet w/ complete spare tyre attachment

cra42

Behind the seat is the best place for them. Spare on the bonnet is a royal pain in the arse. Makes the bonnet so heavy you need to be like superman to be able to open it, and also massively cuts down the visibility. Don't even consider putting it there if you are running larger than standard tyres.

I couldn't even give one of these away years ago, so ended up cutting it up and scrapping it!

Newbury auto jumble is always a good place to find one. I'm sure you could get away with one as hand luggage on the plane!

Jon

Don't military bonnets/hoods just use a set of tiedown straps and metal loops on the bonnet? Easy to add and cheap to post from UK if needed.

Personaly I hated mine after the first two bends in the road I turned arround and took it off!

Had a quick look at a Lightwieght LR and they use four rubber pads for the tyre to sit on, a metal bar bent in a square U shape to locate the centre of the wheel and a Y shaped tie strap to hold it down. Should be easy to make from localy sourced parts?

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=92377

as you can see on the picture in this topic (don't mind the naked man on the hood) the wheel is sunk into the bonnet a bit. It's a perfect fit for my wheel.

It really isn't "Just a wheel attached to the bonnet" is't actually a bonnet formed to carry a tyre!

The Deluxe bonnet has a wheel depression, the normal? Bonnet does not so it is arguable if it is needed?