Speedi Sleeve - stub axle?

GW8IZR

I am posting here as I think its a fairly generic question.

I need to speedi sleeve my rear stub axle on the 90.

The axle is from a very early imperial RRC

I'm wondering if the diameter of the stub axle has changed over the years - short of stripping it again and measuring does anyone know which sleeve I need please?

There was a recent thread about this which I think concluded 60mm for a Discovery 1 stub but is it the same. I know D1 disks won't fit as the offset is different.

Later this year I'll change the axle to a later D1 but a sleeve is the answer for now.

TIA

Regards Paul

For the seal land?

I saw the 60mm dia quoted by Mo (iirc) and went with the logic that if all hub seals are interchangeable then all stub axle seal lands must have the same dimensions

On that basis I ordered CR99235's from here

They were the right internal dia for the 1991 RRC rear axle fitted to my 90, I fitted them over the christmas break.

It would be worth shopping around and seeing if different heights are available in the same dia, as the Sturdi Sleeves I ordered were approx 19mm and the seal land is approx 11mm. I can tell you that trying to cut down something which is 60mm dia and only 0.254mm wall thickness without scratching the surface or buckling it is incredibly difficult without access to a lathe ;)

Thank you Lewis that's very helpful- I'll order a sleeve tomorrow,I'll nip into BSL and see if they have them in stock.

Every time I go into the local place and ask for something the girl on the counter Bo+-*()s me for doubting her :-)

Based on your comments and my ten minutes with a Disco stub and a vernier I reckon CR99241 which is 11.4mm deep might be best

I have a couple of lathes but I don't want to take the stub off so a shorter sleeve is best.

In the event it works I'll stick a picture on here :-)

• Like 1

Silly question time, do you think you could cut the excess off with a pipe cutter once it's fitted?

In a word, no. They are just too thin and flimsy for that

I cut mine down (Heath Robinson style) by finding an aerosol can lid they were a tight fit on (to support it) and then carefully cutting around them with a junior hacksaw. I took any excess off with a flap wheel in the drill and then sanded them face down into some wet and dry, it was very tedious

Lewis the link you provided was bout 30% of the cost to buy locally- so its worth me taking the time cutting it down I reckon.

Thanks.

That eBay seller is a proper bearing supplier - probably worth calling them to see if they can get you the correct size. Worth noting they are 'Sturdy Sleeves' and not actual speedi sleeves

When you measure the seal land on the stub axle take care to account for the radius at the back of the land - the sleeve will only slide on as far as the root of the radius

If you have a lathe and some steel stock you can make your own tool for fitting them, or like me you can stick a 50mm holesaw thru the tool that they come with to clear the rest of the stub axle

So today I did the deed - if I'd been as confident in the Dremel end cutting disk I wouldnt have removed the stub axle. Next time I will do it on the axle.

Pressed it on with a bit of plastic downspout which was a nice fit.

Bit of finishing with some emery cloth and a a bit of Scotchpad and it was fine.

So thanks all the pointers and links, another job done.

post-38886-0-23282000-1421515770_thumb.jpg