Defender Wheels

Hi all,

I currently have a 90 (1985) which i only brought 2 weeks ago, and it currently has a defender front axle and a disco rear axle. the person prior to me has put disco wheels on which don't fit onto the front axle safely. if i brought a set of 4 defender wheels will they fit onto the disco axle or am i going to have to have to different sets of wheels or buy a new axle.

any info would help before i go buying new wheels

Regards

Ollie

I have some alloy discovery wheels which came on the landrover but when taken to the garage they said they couldn't get them to sit flush due them being a typefof discovery wheel which would need part or it grinding down. This also produces wobble when reaching around 50mph. I'll see of I can get a photo to show the type I have on.

Ollie

Argh Okay that's why then sounds like what the garage said to me but left out about the alloys then but, defender wheels will fit on the disco axle aswell? Or is there a specific disco axle that only defender wheels will fit. Sorry for asking so many questions completely new to all this and first landrover I will be doing my own work on.

Ollie

Disco 1 and defender wheels share the same stud pattern, so the wheel stud holes physically line up. Early 90s had the thick drive member ( the part of the axle at the hub with 5bolts around the little plastic cap). This meant later alloy wheels with a "closed" face would not seat properly against the hub. Most steel wheels do not have a closed face so will fit early and late axles with no issues.

If you really want alloys, then you have two options that don't require the grinding of wheels or hubs.

1: Spacer kit....readily available and they move the mounting face outward which gives increased track/better turning circle and some may say enhanced looks. Buy hubcentric type for a safer fitment.

2: Replace axle for a later type...300 tdi/td5 defender for sure, disco 1 front axle has narrow flanges too iirc. Alloy wheels bolt straight on per factory fitment.

Hope that helps

If you go for spacers to keep your existing alloy wheels, change the drive member bolts from hex head bolts to Allen cap head bolts otherwise the corners of the hex heads will foul the alloy wheel and you'll still have trouble fitting them.

HTH

Mo