Vandals in Gloucestershire

Half Orange

GCC are due to begin repairs to a well know BOAT today, but the GCC RoW officer just sent me this bit of sad news:

I cannot believe this! GCC have tried to repair a lane (BOAT) near me, and over the weekend, this happened:

"Hi Jim

Hope you're well. I just thought I'd let you know that we are starting the surface work at Rodmarton today (Monday) but our hire plant was vandalised over the weekend so there will be a bit of a delay. It would appear from the evidence that someone had obviously tried to use the BOAT and couldn't because of the plant machinery. They then tried to move it, or so it would seem, and damaged it in the process. If you happen to hear anything on your network or grapevine it would be useful to know. The police have been informed.

Best wishes

Mike"

Please, if any of you have heard anything, or seen anything, let me know? GCC try to repair a lane for our use, and what happens? I've asked Mike Barton to let me know if there is anything we, at CRAG, can do.

Guest diesel_jim

Hmmm.... bad/sad news that, however:

It would appear from the evidence that someone had obviously tried to use the BOAT and couldn't because of the plant machinery. They then tried to move it, or so it would seem, and damaged it in the process

One has to ask, why was the machinery parked across the byway blocking it? :rolleyes:

It could just have been kids/pikies messing around with it.

Not sure about that, but I believe the access to the BOAT is narrow and there is no plant parking to be found near by... ;o)

Even so, that does not justify the vandalism? If you cannot access a lane, then report it to the local CC. If it was kids or pikeys, and that seems most likely, then GCC will never know who did it, will they? I'd like to know why Mike thinks an attempt to use the BOAT was made, I'm off down to the BOAT this afternoon to see what the score is...

Dont know if its the same byway that goes across the stroud cirencester road by sapperton railway tunnel. Was out on it on saturday about 11 oclock time met 3 landrovers coming from Rodmarton direction all with foreign plates (left hand drive)

If you cannot access a lane, then report it to the local CC

... and wait the normal six months/2 years for it to be sorted, if ever!!!!

Sorry to appear negative but nothing ever gets done around here unless you do it yourself... Removing burnt out cars, illegal obstructions, etc...

We have TRO's down here that were meant to be temporary but are still in place years later...

:( Sorry :(

Dave

... and wait the normal six months/2 years for it to be sorted, if ever!!!!

Sorry to appear negative but nothing ever gets done around here unless you do it yourself... Removing burnt out cars, illegal obstructions, etc...

And here in Wiltshire too. I have brought numerous obstructions, illegal diversions, locked gates, fences built across BOATs, BOAT ploughed out etc. to the attention of the ROW department. Their reaction? "Ah, well, we will probably TRO that anyway soon" or "Well, the road is likely to be moved some time in the next decade and that will impact on the BOAT".

There is a BOAT locally to me that was upgraded recently from a bridleway. As such, most of the gates are narrow, equestrian types and too narrow for a 4x4. The CC's reaction? "Ah, well, we will probably TRO that anyway." I asked why and was told "To protect the river". I took a run down there by quad the other day (it fits through the gates :) ) The river in question is dry stream bed which the BOAT crosses a couple of times. I guess it may become a stream during heavy weather but last weekend was dry.

I pointed out this document to the CC and asked what they planned to do about it. I was met with a shrug. Shows what such documents are worth.

None of this would defend vandalising/damaging anythng, whether it blocked a lane or not.

Chris

I know reporting it seems pointless, but if you report an obstruction to the CC, and then use your legal right to move the obstruction, you are covered if some low life tries to stop you, or reports you and your reg to the CC. I'm speaking from experience here, after towing a burned out car from a lane so I could drive it. A rambler spotted me, took my picture and then called the CC whilst I was there to report me. For what, I never stopped to ask, but report me he did. He was most perturbed when my mobile rang and the CC and I had a chat about what I was doing there, on speakerphone.... ;o)

Anyhow, the lane in question is TRO'd for the next 6 months for the works to be completed, so I guess this is a no brainer. It was prolly just scrotes vandalisng the plant. Unless it WAS those "out of UK plated" 4x4's of course..... Did one of them have a 90 with what looked like a race number on the bonnet? I'm sure I saw that truck nosing out of the lane as it crosses the London road to Cirencester on Saturday ICKY. Pretty sure it was wearing Simex or Grizzlys...

Is that lane signed up as being TRO'd? I never made it down there, so can't say. If I do get the chance this afternoon, I'll pop down and have a look, but being on call may interfere, again... :o((

Could have been ramblers, if you got a large group of them they might have tried dragging it out of the way, fuelled by the anger of a way being blocked by a motorised vehicle?

:)

Oh how I wish that to be true and a picture to exist.