Converting to 24v

De Ranged

It depends a little on the current drain, long term drain of even a few hundred mA causes the "other battery" to be constantly over charged.

Rather than "what I have heard" here is one example of the negative effects of tapping the battery. When the Salford council wagons had two way radios fitted they were initially unwilling to do the job properly and pay for voltage converters from 24v to 12v , I advised them that the cost of replacement batteries would be more than the cost of the converters but they insisted that it would be fine to tap the battery.

Just 12 months later we retrofitted the converters after a winter of many tens of failed batteries.

That's just one example, I recall many thousands of pounds of telephone exchange batteries were scrapped because... it would be ok.

My comments are based on my own experiences with a 24v 101 and tapping one of the batteries to take 12v power - batteries died. Auto elect said I needed a battery equalizer which were very very expensive and as I needed a separate aux 12v I put on a 12v alternator to run this battery which provides auxiliary power for camping etc and now 12v items in the truck. No more problems with failing batteries.

I am now thinking of removing the 12v alternator and connecting up a 24v to 12v smart charger that I have to charge the aux 12v battery but I am concerned about the reliability of the electronics in the heat and dust over the proven reliability of the alternator.

Hey Reece, the wiper motor is out of my military 110 - it looks like it would go into the right spot on my Series II so should work. I've also got most of the 24 volt bulbs I pulled out but not much else that's 24 volt. Hope to be up in about a month. Got a bottle for you still...