CSW Side rear window seal, weak spot?

Paul64

Another good reason for me to look for an earlier 90 - besides, Galv body cappings look great :P (P.S. Don't mention chassis if Bob's about :o ).

As for leaky seals, it may be worth massaging in a little silicone grease occasionally - keeps the seals more supple and less prone to shrink and crack. Says he with the Disco that leaked all over the driver's seat and an expensive camera bag (and contents) the other night :angry:

Cheers,

Another good reason for me to look for an earlier 90 - besides, Galv body cappings look great :P (P.S. Don't mention chassis if Bob's about :o ).

As for leaky seals, it may be worth massaging in a little silicone grease occasionally - keeps the seals more supple and less prone to shrink and crack. Says he with the Disco that leaked all over the driver's seat and an expensive camera bag (and contents) the other night :angry:

Cheers,

Did exactly that with the silicone grease. Worked a treat!

Cheers, paul

• 13 years later...
On 11/11/2006 at 10:40 PM, western said:

blimey, your keen :i-m_so_happy: I've got to change those seals front & rear on my 110 too, got the bits but need to clean up & paint the channels first, maybe one day I'll get round to it :hysterical:

Well actually got a round to doing this job, bought the garrison outfitter kit from Mudstuff a while ago, also bought the other seals & centre upright from Brit-car, started on the left window yesterday, got it back in 110 & refitted the original filler strip this morning, currently have the right window out,cleaned, had to removed some alloy corrosion on the bottom part of the frame, waiting for the paint to dry overnight & build it back up & refit tomorrow. 

I can't believe this thread is still open after 14 years! 🙂 How are you all? I sold my Defender a few years back, biggest regret of my life. Not easy getting about in the Carpathian mountains in an old g wagon Astra 🙂 I'm always on the look out for a LHD Defender over here but they're really pricey....but I keep looking 👍

On 7/23/2020 at 9:45 PM, western said:

Well actually got a round to doing this job, bought the garrison outfitter kit from Mudstuff a while ago, also bought the other seals & centre upright from Brit-car, started on the left window yesterday, got it back in 110 & refitted the original filler strip this morning, currently have the right window out,cleaned, had to removed some alloy corrosion on the bottom part of the frame, waiting for the paint to dry overnight & build it back up & refit tomorrow. 

I’ll be interested in how it works out.  It’s an expensive kit, but I was able to get just the seals second hand from a member on here, so it’s on my “to do” list.

Well it's worked out fine, no more rattling glass when driving, I also replaced the vertical alloy bar & the flat rubber which forms a U shape between the fixed glass vertical edge & the wiper seal that sits against the sliding glass, the fixed glass U channel rubber around the fixed glass, & the closing strips to finish the frame ends inside & outside, 

If you change the vertical bar take note of which way the wiper strip faces as I didn't, so got one facing forward & other facing rearward. but they do work. also had to clean some corrosion off the right lower frame & then primed & repainted it with black satin paint.

I did buy new filler strip for covering the rivets in the frameouter face, I couldn't get the new stip to sit properly, so reused the existing filler strip, after a clean & soak in very hot water they were good to refit& went in far easier than the new strips at the corners, only thing I had to add was a short bit of new seal just to fill the gap as the old strips had shrunk shorter with age. 

if you go on YouTube, search Garrison Outfitters they have a 5 part video of how to fit their new seal kit. worth a look to refresh the memory.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=garrison+outfitters+window+kit