Fuel filler leak

I drive an '89 110 Hicap. I'm advised by a LR racer/full time fixer (for 30 years) here in Somerset that LR fuel caps leak. Period. He says the only way is to: dismantle the cap / solder the vents shut / install a snorkel on the breather pipe at the top end. Job done. Did this and reassembled the locking arm into the cap wrong so now it's stuck inside the filler pipe. So when I get a 14" phillips driver on the backside of it inside the filler pipe, fix the issue and test drive, I'll report back. grrr. Any other failsafe solutions to this apparently common issue? Any bets on how many more decades will it take for the industrial revolution to invent a reliable valve?

I never found a cure and was too cheap to try a genuine cap. Given what Edmund says about them failing too, its a good job i didn't.

With the TD5 cap, where does the tank breather run? I assume its a pipe that vents externally? Does it have a valve on it? How does it stop water getting in? Can i use a TD5 cap with my existing filler neck?

I have a port on my tank that i could attach a breather pipe to, but i dont want to do something that will let water into the tank.