2.8 TGV engine number location

The manual says it's supposed to be on the right side of the block below the oil breather, but there's nothing there. Could it be anywhere else?

post-18025-0-60983100-1429479207_thumb.jpg

The insurance company are getting a bit interested. The V5 says has a 16L number, so presumably that's the original 300Tdi and someone's been a bit naughty.

It's a long time since I looked, but I'm pretty sure thats where it's stamped on my TGV.

I will try to remember to have a look tonight.

I have a vague idea it might have been placed somewhere else on the Argentinian built engines, but then again I may have dreamed that :blink:

I think i'll need to hunt around a bit. It took me about 15 minutes just to get into a position where I could see the area above to confirm that I wasn't going crazy. The bit where it's supposed to be on mine is black and smooth. Can't feel anything.

I would expect the same place as a 300Tdi would be a good place to start, but it's under an air con compressor :(

Mine doesn't.

Yep and why i said good chance and not definitely will. Given his engine number is not in the "normal" location and neither is mine and given he thought his could be dodgy i was using a bit of logic and trying to rest his mine that a genuine 2.8tgv engine number can end in 16L

I just checked mine and it's stamped right where the photo indicates it would be. directly above the boss for the fuel pump.

It's bloody hard to see though under the mud and rust, it doesn't appear the flat was machined before it was stamped.

It would be very easy to miss it, with everything that's in the way.

yeah that pic is definitely right side, but try the front left, top of engine block, just below head, under the exhaust manifold. You might be surprised there is a good chance it ends in 16L

And this is where I found it. The area was painted white, so pretty easy in the end. :)

The hard bit now is working out if a B is an 8 or if a 0 is a D.

The number really doesn't match the manual, which says it's in the form

• B61 536265
  • B60 536265

I've got a string of 7 letters/numbers, then the 6 numbers