bumper winch / towball winch for series III

xychix

Hey All,

What is considered an economic choice for a winch. I'm a solo driver. I don't drive extreme however the greenlaning here in France can be tricky. Tractors can create normal tracks and then suddenly deep tracks where my 109 will be lying on its diffs. Even though it looks 'easy' is can be a nasty stuck.

Last time (see 'getting out and about forum') I managed to get myself free with a chinese 4 ton hand whinch, although I don't trust that stupid thing, could snap anytime.

For now I was looking at a hi-jack (extreme) with a winch kit, the only thing I'd need then is a proper 4 meter chain. Combine that with a tree strap and my already here 4x4 towing strap should get me out of most situations.

Any good reasons to spend up to a 1000E for a front mounted electric winch? When I'm stuck I usually rather backup onto safe ground.

When you get stuck, is there an anchor within 4metres, plus the straps, that's all I'd say. With a winch you normally get what, 100' of rope? Which you can then extend further with the strap.

The other thing is do you put the winch front or rear? The bling brigade will always tell you stick it up front, however I've met a lot of people who say fit it to the rear if you're only having one. The logic is sound, like you, I always prefer back out the way I went in. You put a winch on the front, you could be dragging yourself into even worse situations. Put it on the back and go back the way you came, at least you know the ground you went over was ok.

What about a bracket using quick disconnect pins or even bolts which is attached to the winch and allows the winch to be quickly fit to the front or rear of the vehicle depending on whether you want to winch forward or back?

The winch can be kept at home and will not be exposed to the elements when you don't need it. Less weight on the vehicle all the time. When you do plan to go play or go on a trip, you pack and strap the winch inside the vehicle, keeping it clean and in working order till needed. You would need power cables going to the front and back with an isolator at the battery.

Many people permanently fit a winch to a vehicle and never use it. By the time it is needed, it is corroded and condensation has damaged the motor.

• Like 1

Attaching to the tow ball though does not seem like a good idea to me. I've seen too many instances where the tow ball has become a deadly projectile.

But having something that fits on to a dixon bate slider might work. Have one front and rear, and you'd be golden.

• Like 1

If you buy 2 sets, you could mount a tow ball to one and the winchbox to the other and use them as required (front or back). Many people have a tow ball up front for boat launching. This would make it very versatile. I have a friend who says that every accessory fitted to a 4x4 should have 2 uses or it stays at home. A 40kg winch which can only pull you out forward is far less usefull than one that can pull you out in both directions.

Another France bases Series !!

Good.

Here in the Auvergne we have loads of lanes and the winch is not used often but the mere fact it is there is always good to know.

We have a DB on the back and no problems with dep. angle.