How's Your Hearing?

I have a 1996 Defender 110 300tdi with approximately 210,000kms. I am getting a rattling noise from what I believe is the transfer box. Started just before my last trip (after 6000 kms the noise has increased somewhat) and is most noticable when accelerating in all gears. Am in the process of ordering a rebuilt one from Ashcroft.

My question is for another noise coming from the same area but I can't tell whether it's from the transfer of gear box. Sounds a bit like a distant helicopter. I went underneath and recorded a short snippet. Attached.

Thanks...jim

Defender_Audio.mp3

Do you get it in one gear or a few (which ones)?

Clutch up, clutch down, neutral only, or in all gear positions regardless?

(give us as much info and we can armchair help maybe ... crystal ball and hearing aide lacking batteries ...

current diagnosis >> sounds like the problem is you woke up and it was a diesel to me :banned::P )

Actually I think the problem is that I have owned the Tortoise for 13 years and many miles and my ears have become so atuned to cutting through the usual diesel noise that I can hear it fart. Usually, though not always, I do catch problems early on but sometimes I think I should just turn up the music louder while driving.

I recorded the engine idling, out of gear, clutch up. The distant helicopter sound, that perhaps only I hear (or think I hear), happens under all conditions: I can hear it while driving in all gears; low, high, or locked. I just went looking for the source this morning and narrowed it down to either the transfer box or the gear box.

I posted this one a bit early it seems. Best to just leave it for now as I'm going to replace the transfer box due to the grinding noise (no doubt about this one). If I still hear the opening tune to M*A*S*H once replaced, I'll know it wasn't the transfer box.

If its under all conditions, is it not likely to be the input shaft side of things of the gearbox?

Given the input shaft would be driven with the clutch up, all the way to the syncromeshs, if the pitch changes when the clutch goes down, is it then more likely to be the clutch bearing, given the clutch will disconnect input shaft drive (note this is sort of right as there may be some creep on the input shaft where the clutch is spinning so fast and the input shaft without being in gear may still slightly spin a bit, however if you engage gear with the clutch down, there is no chance of input shaft movement, so any noise you hear at this point would be clutch release bearing or clutch or engine related.

If the noise occurs, in all drive gears, but the frequency / pitch changes then it's likely to be transfer and onwards drive side.

Hopefully some of that makes sense after being re-read a few times.

Rob

sounds can be so deceptive and a stethoscope or simple listening stick can help - but I agree after owning the same vehicle for 18 years I can tell when something changes, although changing from 4.6 V8 to a 300 TDi made me re read the tree :-)

A chugging noise from a tdi *can* be valve clearance and the noise comes from the air intake but can echo round sounding like it comes from anywhere - particularly for us OCD / paranoia sufferers

• 8 months later...

I ordered a rebuilt transfer case (LT230) and gearbox (R380) along with a new clutch (got the one for the 130) and fork from Ashcroft. They were delivered without fanfare to my island home on Canada's west coast and installed by an independent Land Rover shop (was planning to do this myself but decided by the second week of nonstop rain and after trying to manhandle the gearbox alone, that doing this job outside on my driveway without cover was simply foolish--good decision). Did the rear main seal at the same time. The results are impressive. Untoward noises gone from transfer case and clutch, and I dare say the Tortoise feels more spirited.

Still have the helicopter noise, however. Am going to try some advice above and check valve clearances tomorrow. And indeed, the noise is very loud when I stick my ear by the side vent. Will see.

All I can hear is a diesel engine ticking over. If the sound is not heard when your foot is off the accelerator, coasting, but heard when pulling that would suggest to me that one of the prop shaft journals is failing. I could be wrong but still worth investigating.

sounds can be so deceptive and a stethoscope or simple listening stick can help - but I agree after owning the same vehicle for 18 years I can tell when something changes, although changing from 4.6 V8 to a 300 TDi made me re read the tree :-)

A chugging noise from a tdi *can* be valve clearance and the noise comes from the air intake but can echo round sounding like it comes from anywhere - particularly for us OCD / paranoia sufferers

Good call. I took off the rocker cover today and I noticed a round object lying on the bottom. It was the valve cap for #3, worn through and obviously flung off. Replaced with a new one, set the clearances (a couple were a little generous), and started her up. No helicopter noise. Didn't have time to take her for a run so I shouldn't speak too soon, but it sure sounded like a 300tdi.

Thank you.