Wiper Problems, any ideas ?

Boydie

Okay, firstly I totally re-wired my Disco discarding all the non-essential wiring and removed the MFU control (Multi F**ked Unit) along with all the other electronic gubbins, so my Disco is a little non-standard.

However the only idiosyncrasy that I've experienced are associated with the windscreen wipers. now, having removed the MFU I realise that I've lost the intermittent wipe function as the MFU would recognise the variable resistance selected by the rotary switch and accordingly control the wipers, -- I've yet to figure a way around this but given time I will. (any suggestions will be gratefully received)

The odd thing that does occur however and has me totally baffled is that on occasion the wipers simply don't stop !! turn the rotary switch off and the wipers keep going for a few minutes but again this occurs not all the time, just on the odd occasion and more commonly if the wipers have been on for a reasonable length of time.

Do I have a wiper motor problem and if so is it easily rectified ?? Any Ideas ?? The only other clue could be perhaps is that the wipers no longer terminate at the bottom of their stroke but return up the screen an inch or so.

an intermittent wipe kit would be what you are after for the loss of function, velleman kits used to sell one through maplin in the uk, but now most cars have an int wipe they may have stopped producing them. ebay may throw up a kit.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/k2599-intermittent-wiper-controller-ve03d

or a relay could be linked to your stalk? via western's post http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=927

or

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=68527

Intermittent wipe does however depend on the park-switch working properly.

The park-switch is easily replaced [it pushes into the motor body and retains itself using a springy clamp] once you get access to the wiper-motor itself.

The one I used was - according to the box it came in - specified for Minis, but is a standard part that's been used on Austin/Morris/BL/Rover cars for decades and is the same as for Discoveries/Defenders.

Intermittent wipe does however depend on the park-switch working properly.

The park-switch is easily replaced [it pushes into the motor body and retains itself using a springy clamp] once you get access to the wiper-motor itself.

The one I used was - according to the box it came in - specified for Minis, but is a standard part that's been used on Austin/Morris/BL/Rover cars for decades and is the same as for Discoveries/Defenders.

Yes sorry should have mentioned the lack of park working, the int wiper kit overides the (working park switch) to cause it to run again. Hence why the OP has a constant wiper. My brother had a mini 20 odd years ago and drove 150 odd miles with the wipers running when turned off. Once he ran out of screen wash the wipers were pretty worn.

I butchered the park switch and spliced an industrial microswitch in, it lasted years and years, unlike the rest of the BL parts/body shell LOL