Immobilised Disco TDi

Sabre

Recently my 300 TDi (manual) Disco stopped to start :glare:

The dash lights come on, glow plug indicator shows up, and then the dreaded little red vehicle/key warning lights up

I changed the battery in the remote, then when that did not work, I tried the spare remote. Also with new battery. No change. Checked the two alarm imobiliser fuses in the car, they're OK

Searching this forum, as well as another one, I came across the reprograming procedure for the remotes. 5 Procedures to be exact :closedeyes:. These include the procedure from the Rave manual, the programming of two new remotes, the ignition on-off key code one, disconnecting the car battery, removing remote battery and short terminals ........ and ......... and ......... I tried them all. More than once

None worked.

What am I missing (apart from a "start" of course :rolleyes: )

That the key symbol illuminates tells me you have a 2 button fob,the Lucas 10as system. For whatever reason the alarm ecu is not seeing or using the signal from the fob. You have two choices,either try using the EKA code - if you have it.(Emergency key access code) Details of the procedure in the cars handbook.

If you dont have the eka code the other choice is a diagnostic tool, I would use my T4 system if it came to me in this state which would sort out where the problem is, or I think maybe Nanocom or Hawkeye systems would do it.

That the key symbol illuminates tells me you have a 2 button fob,the Lucas 10as system. For whatever reason the alarm ecu is not seeing or using the signal from the fob. You have two choices,either try using the EKA code - if you have it.(Emergency key access code) Details of the procedure in the cars handbook.

If you dont have the eka code the other choice is a diagnostic tool, I would use my T4 system if it came to me in this state which would sort out where the problem is, or I think maybe Nanocom or Hawkeye systems would do it.

Yes, I have the two button fob

The "Security information" card that came with my car, has a "Key no" on it. Is that the one that needs to be used for the process in the handbook ? Of course the card also has "CATS NO" on. This number was duplicated on the back of the card by a salesman, and indicated as "Key code"

Maybe I should try the "Key no" with the handbook procedure ?

Try it, there is nothing to lose ! If it works then all is good,except you need to fix the non working fob issue. The good thing is that the system is generally very reliable, still just about in current LR use - till the end of this year when Defenders stop production.

Do you have any way of testing the fobs to see if there is an output from them ?

Two buttons

Okay, can you lock/unlock with the fobs? Doing that suggests that the fobs are functioning ok.

I'm sure u know that if functioning correctly as soon as u unlock the engine is remobilised, if you happen to delay starting the immobilised symbol illuminates on the dash indicating the engine is again immobilised, placing the fob near the ignition switch or pressing the unlock button will extinguish the symbol and again remobilised your engine.

When a UK spec disco left the factory the key number was supplied on a metal tag attached to the key, with the security card giving the EKA code plus wheel lock and radio code.

If u unfortunately find the 'spider' is faulty it can be simply bypassed with a switched 12v directly to the two areas that are immobilise,info on that is already on the www. so no need to pull the dash apart if you don't want to.

What year is your disco ? I've been chasing an imobiliser issue for about 3 years and still unable to fix it, mine has disabled the glow plug circuit which was a pain this winter since it was one of the coldest on record.

Late D1's dont have a spider so dont go pulling the dash apart looking for it.

What year is your disco ? I've been chasing an imobiliser issue for about 3 years and still unable to fix it, mine has disabled the glow plug circuit which was a pain this winter since it was one of the coldest on record.

Late D1's dont have a spider so dont go pulling the dash apart looking for it.

UK spec 300 series discos do, unless it's a diesel auto.

UK spec 300 series discos do, unless it's a diesel auto.

Sorry, later manual box 300tdi Disco's have DDS immobilisation - not smart spider.From distant memory DDS came in on WA chassis variants, so it was only TA and VA cars that had smart spider,MA Disco's had single button fobs - no spider or DDS.

Sorry, later manual box 300tdi Disco's have DDS immobilisation - not smart spider.From distant memory DDS came in on WA chassis variants, so it was only TA and VA cars that had smart spider,MA Disco's had single button fobs - no spider or DDS.

Its lucky that I didn't say 'ALL' UK spec 300 series do, unless it's a diesel auto.

Funny enough I do know the model year variations of security systems fitted to the D1, I should do after 18 years of owning one, I just couldn't be bothered to list them, in fact it was the very last WA vins that didn't have a spider the ones on sale in late 1997 to mid 1998 did.

Just trying to save the owners of cars the hassle of tearing the dash apart for something that isnt there.(Which I've seen several times before on forums) That the OP's car is showing the red key symbol tell me its not a spider issue anyway.

Mine is an 01/98 build 300tdi non edc model, no spider behind the the dash so i'm open to suggestions as to where it may be if it is there. My 2 button fobs work perfectly and the only issue that is pissing me off is no power to the injection pump solenoid and no glow plugs (not really an issue here ).

On the US landrover form a post mention cutting and joining a couple of wires before the alarm module but that didnt work for me.