Defender 3.9 V8 Wiring Harness

Cat_J

By what pump?

The thing you circle is the temperature sender for the dashboard gauge, you rightly say the JT connector is the ECU coolant temp sensor.

I thought it was another temperature sensor just not sure what the one of the front is then. When I said by the pump I meant this:

frontsens.jpg

And I thought this was the oil pressure, down lower on the side of the block:

oilsens.jpg

OK that would make sense. I'm pretty sure the donor vehicle had A/C (1997 Disco). As its all a mismash at the moment he was taking the heater out of a TD5 and not bothering with A/C, then I suggested looking to a eberspacher or something similar so could be anything happening there now, but I'm sure there won;t be A/C.

Also when I went back there to find the last unlisted wires, the last 2, which went to the dash, due to their length and location I think must be alternator, this makes sense to me as they must provide the battery light function. Its not the original alternator thats fitted now, but i'll obviosuly be reconnecting this. Are these simply a +ve and -ve connection for a voltage read or is there more to it?

This is the back of the new alternator:

alternator.jpg

Would anybody happen to be able to identify each connection?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm really getting into this. I'd like to know everything I can in the hope that this will lead to future projects.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the connector to git this water sensor? It looks like a bullet connection but not quite the same shape.

Got most the leads made up just a couple of boots to change and I can start putting it together over the weekend.

watersens.jpg

Thanks

Yeah the bullet one is for the dash. Have made the legs up for the other sensors (ones in the photos) just need to find something that connects onto the dash one. Should be going up to see it tomorrow so will try some random bullet connectors

Oh Btw, you seem to know your V8s, do you happen to know which injectors are which. I know its 2,4,6,8 and 1,3,7,9 but would like to number label each leg. Can't seem to find a diagram for this. Thanks

Edit: found this, is it right?

ironfist109_34.gif

Cat, yes that's correct. ...

what I find s bit odd is that the ecu only triggers each set of injectors each time a cylinder on that side requires fuel...... so there are effectively four pulses of fuel per cylinder per cycle....... no wonder they're not the most fuel efficient engines. .....

That's very normal for fueling, even on much more modern engines, sequential injection has very few benefits over bank firing when you get into the science of it.

They drink fuel cos they are a 1950s design and sound lovely!

Do you guys know what connector this uses? Its the 4 pin connector for a v8 fuel pump, standard pump from RR/Disco I'm told:

fuelpump.jpg

Thanks

That's a 4-way Econoseal connector.

You need the 4-way female connector to connect to that pump/sender unit.

The cheapest Econoseals that I've found, are from Polevolt -

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_ESC4F.html

ESC4F-400.jpg