Norwegian annual gathering July 19-24/2016

finnarne

It will be held at Bardu, only 10 hours drive from the very top of Norway (and Europe), although you should schedule some more hours for the drive.

There are cabins availible, and you may camp using tent or trailers, or rooftent, or whatever. You can leave your flashlight at home, but do bring your winter garment.

There will be more official information in English on the Homepage of the Norwegian Land Rover club (http://nlrk.no), but maybe some of you will start planing ahead.

It's a long drive up, And of course lots to see. I myself, will drive with my wife up and I guess down again, taking the shortest route to Trondheim, where we have some family. Then we will continue up to Bardu. We've not decided yet the routes.

There will be some posibility to ship the car with the railroad back south, I think someone mentioned a cost of around 200£, from Narvik to Drammen. I guess it would be possible to ship it up by train as well, but that's a bot more expensive. Most new cars in Norway arrives in Drammen, and those heading for customers up north are shipped by railroad up.

There will be some Land Rovers driving up from Southern parts of Norway.

From Kristiansand, it's 25 hours/1800km
From Larvik, it's 23 hours/1600km
From Oslo, it's 21 hours/1500km
All, distances calculated by Google.

link to google map

Just north of these guys around Alta area is there an old postal road with many side roads for mountain biking which is popular. Download from Play Store Norgeskart. Its the online topomaps for Norway, you'll find all the trails,etc in this area. Excellent app. ;-)

Todd.

• 4 months later...

The registration for the gathering is open.

http://nlrk.no/default.aspx?pageId=388

Sorry for not answering your questions from October, I somehow missed the questions. Tuko answered the biking question, I'm sorry but I dont have any more information about climbing.

I Guess the Camping will know a bit more.

http://www.barducamping.no/bcamp/english.html

Yes, I'm going. Driving from here the Saturday before, I guess, and plan to arrive sometime between Monday morning and Wednesday afternoon. Then we're planing on driving north to Nordkapp either during the gathering, or afterwards. Then head back south. I fear that 14 days will be a bit short, but I also plan to spend some time in my boat.

We will be heading south after hiking Knivskjellodden. From there down to Skoganvarre where there is a nice trail to Alta. After filling up with diesel in Alta the plan is to take the old postal road to Kautokeino. In the grand plan of things we are unsure when we will be around Bardu but would like to drop in for at least one day to relax, do laundry, check over the hybrid before carrying on with our 7500 km road trip. Fingers crossed that we cross paths and have a beer.