Maxxis 771 ATs

BogMonster

I need a new set of AT's for a vehicle that is mainly used on surfaced and gravel roads, I am normally a BFGoodrich man and have used BFG ATs for a number of years on various different vehicles. They are expensive, but last well and are ideal for my use, with a useful increase in grip and puncture resistance over bog standard 4x4 road tyres. I also liked the Grabber AT2 when it was available, the current General Grabber AT is a poor replacement.

Recently, a supplier here has started selling Maxxis tyres at very competitive prices - the Maxxis Bravo 771 AT is 2/3 of the price of a BFG. They seem pretty tough, the tread pattern isn't as open as the BFG but it's OK for my needs. Does anybody run these - and how to they compare to other reference points like the BFG? There are two reasons I am considering the Maxxis, firstly the price and secondly because they are stocked locally (BFG are not, in the size I want, so I would need to import them myself, which carries a risk that if I wreck one (or two) I have to wait some time for a replacement).

Reviews on line generally seem pretty good, any thoughts?

used them on my d2 in 17" & 18" sizes,

drove round walters arena following a friend on KL71 mud terrains & went everywhere he did without any fuss,

would fit them again

did several thousand miles towing & no real signs of wear, only comment being after 6-700 miles seemed to bed in & have less road noise