series/defender petrol engine converion

Hi all! my name is Thijs and I have been wondering about the following; I'm planning on getting a land rover (series/defender) the basic rule that I want to keep is that is build in 1988 or ealier, and (in the end) a petrol, because of tax legislation laws in the netherlands. most defender or series here are sold with diesels in them, which would make me end up paying through my nose just for taxes. obviously it would be just great to drop in a nice rover V8 but the MPG is simply something that I can't afford. so my question is, what would be decent petrol engines that I could put in my rover? some conversions that may have been done before?

Cheers, Thijs

• Like 1

Goede Avond Thijs,

2.5 Petrol from LR are very, very nice engine if you set them up properly.

They take LPG well but obviously, Dutch Houderschapsbelasting is a killer.

Keep it simple

Have Fun

Hi Thijs,

A 2,5 or 2,25 4 cilinder petrol won't get you better MPG than a Rover V8.

Like arjan says,they are nice engines but a bit thirsty. Especially in a 109 or 110.

I have a 90/110 2,25 petrol (11H) in my serie 2a 88" and that does 1:7 (litre/Km) on petrol(at best) and 1:5,5 to 1:6 on LPG.

I know people with the same engine in a 110 who don't even get up to 1:5 on petrol on the motorway.

Eric

• Like 1

Turbo T Series engine would be excellent in a 90, would need the drive train beefing up a little for a Series motor.

BMW M30 seems a good option for something bigger.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_T-Series_engine

Good option. Has been done before, too. And may be available in NL, certainly was in DK.

I have tried to get as close to the engine part for you in Adam001 build thread for his 110, he chose a BMW 2.8 STRAIGHT 6.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=76920&p=764281

I found this on a facebook page a few months ago as i intend to go petrol power as I am sick of 568E per quartle for my Discovery, 48% of which is diesel surcharge!!!

https://m.facebook.com/groups/144267379068375?view=permalink&id=479883248840118

Hmm... I bought a Range Rover 2.4TD from 1986. It drove quite good (150-160km/h) with that VM Diesel but of course I payed loads of road tax so in went a Rover V8 from 1974 which was lying around in my workshop, total cost of the swap some 50euro's.

Off course it consumes a lot of fuel, 1 liter for 5km in the neigbourhood and 1L for 7km cruising @ 100km/h. For just 130 worn horses it runs surprisingly well, much smoother and faster than the diesel.

I think the T-engine is not a good option: 2L is just to small for a heavy LR. And it will drink a lot too because you need to push it a lot.

And a Series/Defender will be worse at speed than a RRC

Best is to go for a 1976 or older car so you can use LPG or Diesel without Dutch roadtax!

That is why I am builing a 1975 RRC :-)

Thanks for the all the replies! a 1976/older rover is surely on my bucketlist ;) I hadn't heard of the bmw m30 conversion before en will definetly look into it, the mercedes engine mentioned in the other thread sure is an option aswell, I have loads to think about for a while now, thanks!