v8 non-serp alternator, swapping sides..

Hi All,

Does anyone have a write up or know what parts are needed to swap a non-serp v8 alternator from the passenger side to the drivers side? I'd imagine it must be possible as plenty of people are running twin alternator setups...

For space reasons I'd like to swap it over, and it also looks like the unused pulley on the front of the engine (for the AC?) is a bigger belt so it would be less likely to slip under heavy load...

I've got an AC bracket on the front of the engine already, as the previous owner was going to fit onboard air at some point...

Thanks

Jon

Mike - any chance you can take a pic?

Looking at the alternator that I've got at the moment, there's a possibility it's non standard (it's made by Bosch and looks like it may be 100A+)... Judging it by eye it looks like it would sit too far back if it was on the AC bracket..

A pic would help figure the mounts out :)

• 2 weeks later...

This appears to be the 'correct' bracket for mounting the alternator on the RHS of the engine:

http://s1262.photobucket.com/user/Silverxxx670/media/Engine/20130605_185831_zps3a36232a.jpg.html

It's different to what I have, which looks to be:

http://www.handhsurplus.co.uk/product/land-rover-military-defender-90110-snatch-v8-air-con-pump-mount-erc7494/

If you are using the later mount, how does your belt routing work out - does it use the spare pulley or replace the tensioner and run on the same belt as the water pump? :)

Get an alternator bracket from an old carb'd v8, as their alt is on the driver's side. Grind off a tiny bit from the front of it (5mm ?) and your alt will line up with the A/C pulley on the water pump.

G

Sorry Jon. Just seen this thread now. I've mounted my 120A Bosch on the drivers side. MickeyW on here sold me a custom bracket he had made but that was only because I was using non-LR alternator. If you are using a standard LR alternator it will be exactly as Zim shows above.

I can take pics of mine if you want but it's basically the same as the pic shown above.. :)