Replacing a rear wheel speed sensor

DiscoHere

Hi all

I have ruin a diagnostic on my 3 amigo problem and I am informed that the rear wheel sensor had an intermittent fault in it. I went to get a new one to see there are a number of different ones. My LR dealer tells me that the original now comes with a long cable that I have to manually wire into the ECU. I can get an original wabco short one by mail order but I can also get an aftermarket one at a fraction of the cost.

Has anyone tried the aftermarket ones and are they worth it or will I be back in a few months replacing again?

All comments and suggestions are welcome

Hugh

I used an aftermarket sensor on the front when i had a 3 amigo problem.

Cost all of £18, matched the resistance range it suggested in RAVE & solved my problem ( touch wood !)& didn't require anything other than hub separation & connector to be re-connected to install.

Paul

2001 D2 TD5, 187,000 miles & climbing.

NO, if you go for aftermarket you'll have to replace at least both on the same axle with same brand but better all of them or there might be troubles with the TC behaviour... see this http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=96124

you can be lucky to not have problems but it's a risk, i've seen this symptom many times, even on my own and ended up replaceing all with wabco to have a perfectly working TC... that dealer is a schmuck IMO, there are both kind of wabco sensors available, long lead and short lead, different part numbers, depends how the car was originally fitted..also be aware that for intermittent sensor fault codes in most cases the hub is the problem cos there's a play in the reliuctor ring not the sensor

First thing is to check for any play in the bearing. Jack vehicle up (with wheel still on) then grip wheel at 3 & 9 o'clock then rock the wheel and check for any movement, then do the same holding at 12 & 6 o'clock. Also worth spinning the wheel to listen for any roughness but you may hear the brake pads rubbing too. There should be no play. They are not adjustable either.

HTH,

Griff