Rear light fault 90 300TDI

I was wondering if someone with more knowledge than me might be able to help me with a wiring/light fault on my 1994 90.

The rear lights as in side and brake work fine most of the time, however my wife was following and sometimes the lights went out completely, pulled over turned off the engine and switched the switch and they came back on. I wiggled wires at the back of the lights as much as I could and played with the switch and I couldn't get them to go out at all.

They stayed on for a while when driving then went out again they do come back on sometimes (Indicators work ok) problem is when it's on the drive I can't replicate the issue so I'm guessing it's something loose that is an issue when I'm driving and it seems to be linked to the side lights because if I don't use them then all seems ok.

It's not blowing fuses or anything so I don't think it's a short.

I'm not sure where to start so does anyone have any pointers please? Or has anyone had the same fault that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Did you notice if the front side lights were going off at the same time?

Looking at my wiring diagram, the left and right lights have separate fuses.

It is unlikely to be a simultaneous fault in both, so I would suggest looking closer at the switch, and common wiring.

Also worth checking all earths for the battery and body.

Do you lose any other services such as heater or radio?

I am on he Wirral, and may be able to meet up for a shufti if that helps.

PM me rather than advertise where there is a Land Rover to steal!

Mike

Take the bulbs out and the connectors off the bulb holders to look for corrosion. Give them a good clean/replace if it's bad

Good point, thank you I will check. I plugged in a trailer board and these lights went out too. I'm really confused hence the post because it just doesn't make sense.

Have you changed the bulbs lately might be dodgy bulbs

No I haven't thank you, it's worth checking but I think that as both sides go out at the same time it's more likely a wiring fault.

This type of problem turned out to be poor connections to the fuse (even though it looked OK the fuse wasn't being gripped tightly enough) for me although my 90 has the earlier glass fuses and not the blade type.

Thank you, mine has the blade type and I did check this but they do seem tight enough.

Did you notice if the front side lights were going off at the same time?

Looking at my wiring diagram, the left and right lights have separate fuses.

It is unlikely to be a simultaneous fault in both, so I would suggest looking closer at the switch, and common wiring.

Also worth checking all earths for the battery and body.

Do you lose any other services such as heater or radio?

I am on he Wirral, and may be able to meet up for a shufti if that helps.

PM me rather than advertise where there is a Land Rover to steal!

Mike

Thank you.

The front side lights stay on even when the back one's are out.

It is confusing because the misses swears blind that if I'm towing the lights on the light board also go out which would seem to be a wiring fault. But then I'm confused because as people say both sides are on separate circuits but I'm loosing brake and side lights although it is the bulb holders, but then why loose both at the same time, I'd expect them to go at different times if it was a loose connection.

I've checked the body earths, removed cleaned and copper greased (Engine, transmission and chassis.....don't think there are any others).

No I'm not loosing anything else just side lights and brake lights on the rear.

Thanks for your offer of help much appreciated I may take you up on that after I've exhausted all other avenues.

The difficult thing is I am unable to replicate the issue on the drive so fault finding is really difficult.

Going back to the drawing, the two fuses are fed from a single red wire from the switch, which also feeds the instrument lights and the warning light on the dash. If you didn't lose these lights I would suggest the switch is likely ok

Identify the correct fuses. According to my drawing one has a red/black wire coming from it and the other red/orange. Check the feed in to these fuses. I am guessing there is a link across the two on the switch side of the fuse.

Hope this is some help

Going back to the drawing, the two fuses are fed from a single red wire from the switch, which also feeds the instrument lights and the warning light on the dash. If you didn't lose these lights I would suggest the switch is likely ok

Identify the correct fuses. According to my drawing one has a red/black wire coming from it and the other red/orange. Check the feed in to these fuses. I am guessing there is a link across the two on the switch side of the fuse.

Hope this is some help

Ok thanks I'll have a look at this.