Defender Wiper Issue

Hi all,

I have been look around the forum to try avoid duplicate posting , but still feel the need to post.

The wipers on my Defender behave erratic in that sometimes the position of the wipers when in motion is normal and around 50% of the time the wipers arms run to far from the the usual normal position. To the extreme of marking the seal around the wind screen!

Does this symptom point to something obvious or is it a case of taking the arms off and investigating the area for worn parts?

Melv

probably wear on gear/cable. they wiper motor gear could be a 105 or 115 degree version, there are others for these lucas 14w motors -- http://www.s-v-c.co.uk/product/14w-wiper-drive-gear/ see the drop menu to see the options on degrees.

this http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=9010&st=0&gopid=96351entry96351 shows how to change the gear.

I had the same problem with new spindle boxes, cable and arms. Perhaps there was a little slack in the old motor and gear box unit, but it only became an issue over 40mph with a wet screen. In the end, I bonded rubber blocks tot he screen frame to inhibit the blades. Far from perfect, but it stopped the blades tearing from repeated over-run.

Ok so had some time just now to take the motor off and removed the cover to show the degree version. Its a 115 degree. However, i did notice the spindles look a little worn... it maybe that. Looking at pics of new ones they make mine look a tad worn!! :blush:

O/S Spindle

O/S Wiper Spindle

N/S Spindle

N/S Wiper Spindle

New Spindle

14w-wiper-wheelboxes

I think i need new Spindle boxes...

Melv

Those splined bits are held on with a grub screw, so you can just buy new adapters, like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-DEFENDER-90-110-130-WIPER-SPINDLE-ADAPTOR-STC987-/271004994753?fits=Model%3ADefender&hash=item3f19280cc1:g:o5MAAOSwI~VTyPEl

But you may still need new spindles if you deem them to worn....

Steve

The gear on the spindle is just a piece of stamped steel sheet with an interference fit onto the shaft. Over time, that fit may slacken and allow movement between gear and spindle, causing the click. It could also be a loose adaptor on the outside needing its grub screw tightening.

So the issue is still there! :mellow:

Changed the wiper motor gear as above and it rained the other day, went for a drive and boom the wipers go off track together.

Its interesting that they both go off track together and then back to normal together.

I don't think this issue is due to the spindle bit that the wiper slides onto being loose as why would both wipers over run together?

Same as mine. I was hoping to find a gear wheel for inside the motor with a smaller throw (they have different numbers representing the arc they move the arms through, the smaller degree numbers having a spigot closer to the wheel centre). The thing is, I have replaced everything in my system except the motor and gear box, which has very little wear, so it is the correct original spec, and the new cable, spindles and arms are all genuine. Go figure...