TD5 compression loss through injector seal??

Eightpot

Before I throw in the towel and bin this engine, just want to rule something out-

Got a TD5 that had blown HG. Head off, pressure tested/skimmed, new quality gasket kit etc.

While head was off noticed no 1 piston was not protruding enough, so sump off and found the bearing had worn badly and also scored the crank (but only on no 1)- I think this was the cylinder where gasket failed and water had prob got in.

Anyhoo, replaced crank & bearings. May as well chuck in a clutch while I'm at it..

Engine built back up, but now its chuffing air back through the intake, resulting in a popping noise and excess pressure coming out of filler cap etc.

Suspected the rings may have worn on no1 due to the piston being flung around, but a compression test shows this to be the best cylinder!

Number 3 is way down, just wondering if a bad injector seal would have this effect? (Struggles to start from cold and smokey, clearing after a minute)

Just whipped out injectors, all looks fine with seals and washers. Swapped the bad injector complete with its washer for the best performing one and compression now 100%. Dunno whats going on there then, hopefully it just hadn't clamped down properly.

New washers & seals were put in when head was done. So no 1 tested 400psi, no 3 260psi.

I swapped injectors 1 & 3 over (with thier respective washers) and this time got 400psi on 1, 380 on cylinder 3 this time.

three things I noticed - washers both looked great, no dints or signs of blow by. Washers are copper coated steel, was expecting pure copper, and the washer on no 3 was a very loose fit on the injector, not a friction fit like the others.

really hoping the excess crank case pressure is due in some part to a badly seated washer as this engine's testing my patience to its ljmit!

There's a little improvement in runni g since fitting new washers and getting the injector seats spanking clean.

I'm leaning towards a theory that a previous leaky washer may have helped wear the rings a little quicker and washed away any carbon.

I'll get a few miles on it and if the crank case pressure doesn't recede I'll maybe whip the head off and get a proper look. Just a shame it's such an expensive exercise taking the heads off these buggers..

• 5 months later...

Due to the design of the Td5 fuel rail you will quickly find out about an injector washing blowing, because the engine will stop! This is because a compression leak will leak gas into the fuel rail in the head, which will aerate the fuel. Not an uncommon problem - non start, rough running or random dying of the engine can all be caused by compression pressure leaking into the fuel rail.