Indicators...adding Hazards and LED's

ejparrott

Right....I've finally had enough of The 109's indicators.....and filament bulbs in general....

Ever since she's been back on the road The 109's indicators have a mind of their own. They always work, they always pass the MoT (assuming the bulbs haven't fallen out or blown again) The flash rate can best be described as an average of between 60 and 120 times a minute as required for the MoT....it's certainly not consistent though. I strongly suspect the reason for that is purely a tired flasher relay.

Simple fix, however. I'm tired of carp fittings failing and letting bulbs fall out, and I want to go LED, which involves a special adjustable relay, that bit I know. I also want to add Hazards. She's 1971 and has never had them.

I will buy the relay and 4 LED indicator units from Paddocks, made by Wipac. My side's and tails are all the same range, and my friends 110 has had the full set for a couple of years and they're fine, apart from when he reverses in to trees......

I'll obviously need to also buy a Hazard switch and I think it's probably worth me getting a Carling one and putting it in the Raptor dash.

Is there anything else other than bits of wire and connectors I'll need, and is there an idiots guide to doing the job, as I haven't found one. I've googled it, found lots of places selling stuff, just looking for a 'how to' or a wiring diagram really.

At some point I'll change my 88 to LED indicators too, but I'm leaving her well alone at the moment! When we put her back on the road many years ago we did look at the wiring, and when it came to the hazards we looked at it, couldn't figure out how it was supposed to be working the way it was configured, tested it and it worked, so we left well alone!!!!!

Cheers

Do you tow? Not all the "adjustable LED flasher relays" cope sensibly with the additional load of non-LED trailer indicators, or have the required extra terminal to feed the legally-required "Trailer indicators are working" dashboard-lamp.

I've ordered the switch and yes that has a wire list, but it's the connection into the rest of the circuit I'm interested in.

I do tow a fair bit, but my friend with the 110 also does and he seems to have no trouble. My trailer and the shared trailers all have LED lights on them too, that may help, he also has rear repeaters and side repeaters on the front wings too.

Im sure you are aware but flash rate depends on the load i.e. the resistance of the filament bulbs.

Led lamps have lower resistance so the flasher wont flash else flashes at a slower rate.

So you need a flasher relay. This requires additional 12v supply but is independent on any load, meaning its ok with any type of bulbs and any number of bulbs e.g. a trailer .

Obviously the flasher relay contacts have a current limit but that doesnt matter for what you are doing.

If your dashboard has a led indicator lamp, then it may not work, the indicator stalk reverses polarity istr, fixed by fitting 4 diodes as in la bridge rectifier.

I haven't got a dashboard indicator light on The 109, she's just got the ordinary repeaters.

The relay to go with these light sis adjustable to allow for commissioning, I *assume* that it can be adjusted such that it can also cater for towing, I know my friends 110 is behaving in that regard at least

• 3 weeks later...