Defender 110 Chassis Weld or Replace

Agreed on the argon mix, it's much nicer. Try http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk for cost effective gas. BOC and the like cost a fortune as a hobbyist.

And practice, practice, practice. Get some scrap and go for it, you'll soon get a feel for it. One of the reactive Speedglass type welding masks is a godsend, even if it's £50 eBay cheapy. Finally, with mig welding, prep is everything. Get the rust off, get back to some solid metal and keep it clean. Stick welding you can blow through just about anything and the slag (fnarr) carries it away out of the weld pool. With mig, it'll pop, spit and protest if you're trying to weld rust, paint and grime and you'll end up cursing, covered in tiny burn holes and the welds will be 'orrible.

Once you've got the hang of it, it's incredibly satisfying, though, and a skill I'd encourage anyone who likes working on their own landy to develop. I began teaching myself years ago, and I honestly have no idea how I'd get by without now. Good luck! And do keep a small fire extinguisher handy "just in case" :)