Discovery 2 key programming

muddy4x4xfar

Hi all. iv just bought a discovery 2 ignition drivers door lock and matching key to go into my project vehicle. I understand you have to do the plip programming for the fo. To open an. Lock the vehicle but does this also progrm it to the bcu ?

Also how do i get the code for the key to program it?

Many thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

just going through this with mine, I lost the key blade so bought an used ignition lock with two keys off e bay

Tried to reprogram with britpart lynx, but it asks for an 18(?) digit code, whereas the code inside the key fob is a 6 digit

I found a website that converts the 6 digit key no to a longer 16 (if I remember correctly), but still missing some no.s

The advice from the supplier of the lynx was to take my logbook to a main dealer and ask them for the code, which was going to my next step, but not holding out much hope

Hope someone can add a bit more to this

Rick

It depends what you're using to program. New keys from land rover come with a barcode with a long code. Some readers are only capable of programming new keys with the barcode, they cannot program old keys or used keys.

The nanocom and possibly some others are capable of programming the fobs to the car with just the short code on a sticker inside the fob. Making it possible to program the old/used fobs.

If you've only changed the locks and still have the original coded fobs, you can pull the blade out of the fob and have a new one cut to the new locks and fit that in the original fob. There is no need to disturb anything electrical.

• 1 month later...

I'm in the same boat with needing to program a replacement key (purchased 2nd hand) and only have the 6-digit code......anyone know of a LR repairer or such like who has one of the older diagnostic tools (Nanocom, etc) in the TAUNTON area?