Chassis swap - keep me honest

Hey all,

Picked up a Marsland chassis last week (very impressed by the quality from Marsland) and will swap the chassis soon. I'm planning to do the standard bits (new brake lines, new bushings, new bumpstops) when I do the swap. I have a 1988, 2.5L Petrol 90 with 65,000 original miles; it runs solid but has a definite clank sound when you engage the clutch (more noticeable when from a standstill).

My question is this: while I have the body off and since I have to remove and transfer over the complete drivetrain are there any big things I should definitely do while I have everything taken apart? New clutch maybe? New gearbox driveshaft maybe (wondering if worn splines are causing the clanking sound)?

Love this forum, thanks for all the help and advice!

I would say clutch and crank seal are a definite job. Anything else is on a case by case basis. Expect to do some work to the bulkhead and repairs tot eh wiring loom. Suspension bushes might be OK if not old, but it seems folly to refit worn bushes on the new chassis, so I'd budget for them (and engine transmission mounts if not in top condition).

Definitely do the clutch and while it is easy to get at everything give consideration to doing things like the clutch slave cylinder.

Be prepared to find lots of things you hadn't anticipated as well, things like prop shaft UJs spring to mind as does A frame ball joint, which might also be the source of your clonk

Things to do that might go wrong in the future... hmmm

Put a quality clutch in, then new bearing, release fork, and on the push rod make sure to cable tie it to the release fork. New mounts on the gearbox / transferbox, they are not expensive but easier to do whilst you have the body off, change the oils. When you put the new break lines in, it may seam like a bit crazy, but use copper or stainless p-clips with stainless bolts. If you do you will never had any issue with those falling off in the future, the bolts rusting in etc etc (with that point maybe it's just me)

On other things, as neil110 said, check it all out and do what is needed.

One mod that you may want to do at this point, is fit an disk break hand break, had one for the last 6 years and it's never had issue, never frozen and always held.

Good luck