disco td5 into 300tdi defender

Well if you had the Discovery wiring harness, then I guess you could retro fit that into your Defender.

If it's still in a runnable state in the Discovery then you can thin the harness out and make sure it still runs.

I don't know what the main things the ECU needs to see in order for the engine the run.

Steve

Cool!

Well I would unplug the things you don't need or that you're not using for the defender and use the Disco wiring loom.

If it comes to it you could just bung all the surplus loom in a bag behind the dash somewhere, but thinning it out would be the better, neater route.

I haven't done this personally, but it sound feasible!

I look forward to the build thread!

Is it auto or manual and what year 10p/15p.

Steve

That would include ecu?

So is there no way of doing it with the discovery bits?

I've heard of a couple of 'challenge' motors being done with a complete vehicle loom from a Disco, with all the unused bits being stuck together in a waterproof box hidden somewhere in the vehicle to keep the ECU's happy.

It's doable, but the amount of extras a D2 has that the defender doesn't means there's a lot to deal with.

Whatever you do you'll likely need to spend some time with it connected to a nanocom or similar, so you might as well do it with a simpler wiring setup and save yourself chances of grief later on.

Cant speak for td5 loom , but I thinned out a discovery 300tdi auto with edis loom to run with immob and still fbw throttle in a defender , it was a little time consuming but technically not that difficult . I started by studying a wiring diagram to see just what is needed for the ecu to function , the most part is in the engine loom (sensors) , speed signal is another common , HTSH

ps done the same with 3.9 i engine into defender, and also td6 into defender.

The only extra thing I thought of was the BCU which the discovery uses to run a lot of the electrics. So I would think you either go for the 'tuck it away in a box' as mentioned - and effectively run the disco loom like a piggy back loom - or you have a go at using it to have electric Windows etc ?