New Member Disco 2 TD5 issues

Toby2391

Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and have recently acquired my first Land Rover.

I have recently purchased a low mileage Discovery 2 TD5 Manual with 97000 miles on it and have an issue with it being sluggish/under powered for example from stationary pulling away in second just doesn't happen and if you are travelling along in say third or fourth and you hit an incline it will slow right down almost to a stop so you have to get it back in to first to continue.

I have read on various forums about this issue and have replaced both the MAF sensor and boost solenoid and it has not made a difference.

Currently I have 2" taller springs fitted to the rear by the previous owner and I will be replacing them with standard height as the dash light is on constantly and the ride is horrendously twitchy, I wondered if the power is restricted due to the raised suspension.

I have also read about bypassing the EGR to gain more power and increase fuel efficiency but I would like it to run normally first as I get just over 34mpg at the moment.

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Regards

Toby

What light is on? If it has taller springs and the air suspension light is on, it's just been a bad conversion, and you need somebody with a computer to sort it out so the vehicle knows it is on coils. Easy job for somebody who knows what to do. An air suspension fault might trigger reduced power, not sure, I have not heard of it before though.

The power is certainly not normal, it should fizz up a fairly good hill in 4th if you have 2000+ rpm, and taking off in second on the level should not be a problem. The first thing you really need is to plug it in to a computer and see what that says, clear the faults and drive it again, and then see what comes back. Anything else is just guessing really, and guessing gets expensive! I would also check the fuel pressure, which cannot be done with a computer, as a failing fuel pump can give the power loss symptoms.

Hi guys

Thanks for the help

I took it to a garage for diagnostics. First thing they did was change the new MAF sensor I had fitted which turned out to be faulty and it had an instant boost in power but still not right there is also a tapping noise coming from the I think the rocker cover and the other fault codes were to do with injector pressure

So far to date it has had new standard height springs which solved the choppy ride and handling, new better quality MAF sensor and boost solenoid giving an increase in power.

I have also cleaned out the oil in both ends of the ecu wire and the ecu itself and will now change the o rings in the head where the injector loom socket sits is it worth while changing all the injectors and injector loom and the intank fuel pump.

Regards

Toby

Llandrindod Wells

Had a similar problem accompanied by rough running at start up. Did all you've done as well as clean every sensor in sight and lubed up the turbo waste gate I think it was called,, except the springs as mines still on air.

Fault codes indicating trouble with at least two injectors! An old boy in a local independent garage suggested a dose of red-x type diesel fuel additive and give it a good blast on a flat stretch of 'lonely' open road.

Not looked back since!! Runs better than ever. However, just sorting out an immobiliser issue as we speak!!

Good luck and you'll get sound advice on here from the lads who know.

Cheers Rob