Rover V8 Belt setup and alternator brackets

Jon W

Posted in here as it could apply to Series, Range Rover Discovery or Defender.

I have put what I believe is a rover SD1 engine in my Series 3, however the engine came with a home made alternator bracket which I couldn't get to line up. Could anyone help in letting me know which bracket or more importantly which part numbers I need to get the right mount. It could either go top right as you look at the engine or top left. But am unsure if the run of the belt would interfere with the bottom rad hose if it was top right. I have attached pictures to help describe what I mean. I will also need a belt of the right size and to be able to tension it. Nice simple set up as only need water pump, alternator and main pulley, then possibly and tensioner if required.

I know the front of V8's can vary a lot with water pumps etc.

IMG 2605

IMG 2602

IMG 2604

IMG 2603

Any help much appreciated! or if anyone has the right parts kicking about I would be interested in them!

Thanks

Jon

Thanks for the offer but I have got a double pulley on the bottom, a tensioner, water pump and alternator. If you could have a look for the bracket that would be great!

or if anyone else does that would be great!

Thanks

Jon

Anymore for anymore??? Help that is. This is one bit which is holding my current project back at the moment. So does anyone else have any info?? or a parts catalogue or anything with pictures images or part numbers. Or even a picture of their own setup

Thanks in advance

Jon

• 1 month later...

Ok so here is where I am up to but am still stuck. The engine was originally set up with a power steering pump so hence 3 belts. 1 for waterpump, 1 driving power steering pump, and alternator driven off the power steering pump. as seen here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

Now as I don't need the power steering pump i was planning on having the alternator mounted on the opposite side as seen here http://www.v8engines.com/engine-1.htm

on the engine with the v belt setup. However having brought the brackets and the pulley for the alternator not line up, I brought another alternator incase it was that incorrect.

However that hasn't helped, water pump and bottom pulley line up but the alternators still doesn't. See pics below

IMG 2926

IMG 2928

IMG 2927

IMG 2925

Any help or suggestions? Really need to get this sorted as soon as possible

Thanks

There is a dished water pump pulley that pushes it back over the water pump nose. But to be honest there is a huge amount of different bits that went on the RV8. It's one of the reasons I am very pleased with the electric water pump. It's one less rover disaster in the engine bay that I need worry about.

I suspect your easiest fix is to get 1" by 1/4" flat steel bar and make your own bracket. You'll get exactly what you want and with the parts you have :)