Dead lift pump?

geoffbeaumont

When I serviced the disco (300Tdi) at the weekend, I had a bit of trouble bleeding the fuel filter. There was no resistance from the lever on the lift pump (Haynes manual seems to imply there might not be though), and after pumping for ages I had to give up and turn the engine over briefly to get the fuel flowing. It's running okay, though I have suspected it was down on power for a while (hard to tell - it's never exactly been a performance motor... :rolleyes:).

I'm guessing my lift pump has gone south?

Geoff, it's not necessarily gone - the pump works off the camshaft, so depending where the arm of the pump is on the asociated cam, you may not get any resistance when jiggling the lever - you can either flick the starter to move the cam round a bit and try again, or turn the engine over by hand.

That said, however, replacing the pump is cheap and simple, so it won't hurt if you do it anyway - just remember to buy new olives for the pipe connections.

Dunk

When I serviced the disco (300Tdi) at the weekend, I had a bit of trouble bleeding the fuel filter. There was no resistance from the lever on the lift pump (Haynes manual seems to imply there might not be though), and after pumping for ages I had to give up and turn the engine over briefly to get the fuel flowing. It's running okay, though I have suspected it was down on power for a while (hard to tell - it's never exactly been a performance motor... :rolleyes:).

I'm guessing my lift pump has gone south?

It may have been 'on cam' ie held at it maximum throw by the cam, so the hand lever cannot move it up and down. In such a case, turning the engine over a bit moves the cam, and the hand lever will work.

when i suffered complete lift pump failure, the engine wouldn't run above about 1500 rpm due to fuel starvation.

Incidently, when i bleed my 200tdi i just fill the fuel filter up before i screw it on, then fire her up, and off we go.

Edit: Sorry Dunk, we posted at the same time!

...Incidently, when i bleed my 200tdi i just fill the fuel filter up before i screw it on, then fire her up, and off we go...

If you did that, wouldn't you be feeding the injection pump with some fuel that has not been filtered?

If so, it may do more harm than good!

Okay, I'll stop worrying then :)

I got the impression from the Hayneous manual that if it was on cam then the hand lever wouldn't move.

No the lever will still move.

When the lift pump is old, the diaphram can be damaged by using the manual lever, which can move the diaphram further than the cam.

When the diaphram leaks, fuel enters the sump and contaminates the oil, leading to engine failure.

The Tdi will self bleed after changing the filter, or draining the sedimentor - but don't do both before bleeding either.

a Tdi will self bleed, start it up, it'll run realy rough for a few seconds then settle down, if you want to make sure all the air is out, undo the bleed screw on top of the fuel filter housing about half a turn, as soon as fuel starts to leak out, nip it up again. job done.

The Tdi will self bleed after changing the filter, or draining the sedimentor - but don't do both before bleeding either.

Mine doesn't have a sedimentor - it's got the mounting for it, but it's not used. No idea why - it must have been like that from the factory as my parents had the truck before me and they wouldn't have removed it.