Found a relay

Outrage

Hi all,

I've found a Lucas 6RA 20A relay behind the small central console in the middle of the dash it's got one red/white wire which is fed from the ignition, 1x black wire which i presume is the earth and one black/white wire which dissapears into the wiring loom behind the dash. Is this something to do with the brake failure light? This is fitted and doesn't appear to be visible on the series III schematic either - was it an optional add on?

ta,

Lee

Hi all,

I've found a Lucas 6RA 20A relay behind the small central console in the middle of the dash it's got one red/white wire which is fed from the ignition, 1x black wire which i presume is the earth and one black/white wire which dissapears into the wiring loom behind the dash. Is this something to do with the brake failure light? This is fitted and doesn't appear to be visible on the series III schematic either - was it an optional add on?

ta,

Lee

The red/white wire from the ignition switch is usually the feed to the starter solenoid, so it looks like someone has fitted a relay to operate the solenoid. Check to see if the black/white wire ends up at the solenoid itself.

The brake failure light was an option, have you downloaded the PDF manuals? It's in there. The warning light is operated by some or all of 1) test switch, 2) fluid level switch, 3) PDWA, 4) loss of vacuum or 5) pedal travel switch.

The red/white wire from the ignition switch is usually the feed to the starter solenoid, so it looks like someone has fitted a relay to operate the solenoid. Check to see if the black/white wire ends up at the solenoid itself.

The brake failure light was an option, have you downloaded the PDF manuals? It's in there. The warning light is operated by some or all of 1) test switch, 2) fluid level switch, 3) PDWA, 4) loss of vacuum or 5) pedal travel switch.

Hi Roger, The Red/White wire is a feed off the same terminal that provides power to the instruments etc (white wire). This is in addition to the Red/White wire that goes to the starter motor solenoid which i have checked works ok (i am having problems with the ignition switch as well!) this wire is smaller than the starter solenoid wire.

I don't have a test switch as i've seen on other vehicles just an indicator with "BRAKES" on it. The only other black/white wires i can find on the vehicle go down to the shuttle valve on the brake lines so i'll assume it's for that. Strange setup!

Cheers,

Lee

I'd be very wary of relying on wiring colours to be correct in a Series - it's old and it was built by BL, the possibilities for error are huge :lol: your only surefire way is tracing the wires.

I had the brake warning setup on mine, it never worked and the wiring certainly wasn't as per the manual :rolleyes:

Hi all,

ta,

Lee

It's the brake failure warning works during the start cycle as a bulb & system check, IIRC it was fitted to late S3 when dual circuit brakes were fitted [front - rear split]

Hi Roger, The Red/White wire is a feed off the same terminal that provides power to the instruments etc (white wire). This is in addition to the Red/White wire that goes to the starter motor solenoid which i have checked works ok (i am having problems with the ignition switch as well!) this wire is smaller than the starter solenoid wire.

I don't have a test switch as i've seen on other vehicles just an indicator with "BRAKES" on it. The only other black/white wires i can find on the vehicle go down to the shuttle valve on the brake lines so i'll assume it's for that. Strange setup!

Cheers,

Lee

Sounds like an unofficial add-on. Really hard to to tell wirhout looking at it, especially with the altered igntiiton switch.

Sometimes the brake test switch is combined with the warning lamp, have you ried pressing the lamp?

It's the brake failure warning works during the start cycle as a bulb & system check, IIRC it was fitted to late S3 when dual circuit brakes were fitted [front - rear split]

Mmmmmmm? Didn't think S3 were that sophisticated, according to the manual the only check on the brake warning light was a push switch.

I suppose if the relay was connected from ignition to oil pressure switch (W1 & W2) it would close when the ignition was switched on and then open once the engine was running, thus the contacts (C1 & C2) could be used to test the brake warning light.

Hope this helps

Brake Warning light

Hey all, thanks for the replies. It doesn't seem to be harming anything so i'll just leave it be for the moment. I was just pondering the elastictrickey on this car whilst removing the rest of the bodged together wiring.

Roger, Hadn't seen that one before, Is that out of the workshop manual? That's the circuit i'd seen before on other vehicles.

Western, That seem's to make sense and looking at the wiring I think that was what was intended although it certainly doesn't work! That would also explain why my system doesn't have the test switch. Has anyone got an official diagram for this circuit?

Cheers all.

p.s. what's the can do on the engine side of the bulkhead, its got three terminals with three green wires - Thought it may be the indicator flasher but i've just found that in the bottom of the dash with two wires on it.

Lee