Hats off to Steve @ Lakeland Car Centre

Ed Poore

So the story begins a while ago with me thinking I really should check the state of my wheel bearings. Anyway there's no play but I don't take off the caps. Fast forward to Friday when Mum and I are heading up the M6 to the Highlands in the 110.

She thinks she's hit something and the car feels like it has a flat. All fine but I get in and once we're back up to about 30 somethings not right. Jack up the corners in turn and rear wheel has play. Bugger...

Anyway orange van called, problems there as despite being members since 09 they have no record of us being members currently. Anyway chap shows up and agrees bearing is fubared. He recommends a garage (he has the chaps home number) in Kendal (12 miles away at this point) so we potter to the services a mile up the road, feels driveable at slow speeds so we continue.

We book ourselves (and dog) into a hotel for the night (now about 10pm). Return to Lakeland in the morning and meet Steve, the owner of the Bosch approved centre. He's the only one in and normally they only do sales on a Saturday. But he opens up the workshop, we put the 110 on the lift and there's now about 1" of play at the top of the wheel, knackered that then.

He phones up some car parts and luck would have it two sets of bearings are available, so they're on the way over. He's happy for me to help out and we start prepping stuff. Naturally the top caliper bolts have rusted up so quick phone call to LR dealer around the corner and they have two in stock. So his son is dispatched to collect them, at least we can knacker two of them now.

We end up removing the spring to gain access and eventually strip down the axle. One roller comes out square and the bearing got so hot it welded itself to the stub axle. No stub axle available so desperate times and all that. So we cut off the bearing race and I sit there with a file and emery paper to smooth up the stub axle. After a little fight and some ingenuity with a scaffolding pole to aid in pushing the bearing truly home we get the right hand side done. Left hand was a doddle in comparison.

Quick road test and all is hunky dorey. So I settle up, we were working on it for the best part of 6h but doesn't charge for the full amount and very reasonable rates considering. He said he shouldn't enjoy it but did really enjoy the mornings work on a nice mechanical vehicle because every problem that might have arisen we could work with.

It was a nice opportunity to try out a few tools, already invested in a set of Irwin Bolt removers and will be in the near future investing in a Milwaukee M18 1/2" heavy duty impact driver. That thing was seriously impressive, not cheap but stuff our old so cheapo air impact hammer (Clarke?) would struggle on it made mincemeat of.

Anyway he was an absolutely top bloke, we had nice chats throughout the morning and just a genuine chap who does know his stuff. So if you're ever in the area and need a garage I would highly recommend him. Mention the white 110 with the welded bearing and I'm sure he'll remember who I am for years to come. I did a proper job on that.

(New bits for all four corners already on order)

• Like 3