A Frame

My battery currently resides in the back of my vehicle and takes up space I'd like for other things so I'd like to lower it. My thoughts are to weld brackets between the chassis rails, but to the underneath, for the battery to sit on (it's currently sitting on brackets across the top of the rails).

The question is: Does the A-Frame move up between the chassis rails at any point when articulating?

If so, I need a rethink!

The vehicle is a Range Rover based Bowler Tomcat.

thanks

Measure the distance between the axle and the bump stop, or safe still between the axle and chassis rails, that is how much the ball joint end of the A-frame can come up by, then you should be able to work out how much clearance you have.

Are you sure it would travel that much?

I thought the axle pivotted on the ball joint mainly, and the A frame didn't do a huge amount of up and down movement.

I maybe quite wrong of course!

Are you sure it would travel that much?

It can potentially move that much, whether it does depends on your springs rate, vehicle weight, driving characteristics, etc. Some people regularly hit the bumps stops (and not just articulating), others very rarely if ever. Either way I'd make sure anything was outside the max potential travel of the A-frame.

Guest diesel_jim

You could always remove your rear springs and let the axle sit on the bump stop,then add an inch or so for the bumpstops getting compressed, that way you'll NEVER have the a frame going past the maximum point..... if you do then the battery getting damages will be the last of your worries!

You could always remove your rear springs and let the axle sit on the bump stop,then add an inch or so for the bumpstops getting compressed, that way you'll NEVER have the a frame going past the maximum point..... if you do then the battery getting damages will be the last of your worries!

Yes, good point!

I'm currently running at 88 tdi powered s1, i had the same thought on battery location, it really depends on the body height, mine is quite low, and your looks similar, i was able to mount the battery frame / tray at the bottom of the A frame cross member, and that still leaves 1 inch clearence on max compression of springs. It is only 50% below the rear floor though.... I also considered, pass footwell?? Underseat?? (I have no seatbox, but in cab storage under the seats for me was essential...

Hope that helps

Oz

bobzilla, this is where I'm moving the batterybox on my 90 although, unlike you, I'm only partially sinking it so the top level with the top of a mounted 8274. Having looked and done some measurements I think I worked out lowering it 150mm would be safe but I honestly can't remember. As others have said you should deffinatly allow for hitting the bumpstops and, if you want to be on the safe side, the chassis. The last thing you want to happen is loose a spring and bumpstop and then have the A-frame hit the box and smash the batteries leaving you stranded!

The last thing you want to happen is loose a spring and bumpstop and then have the A-frame hit the box and smash the batteries leaving you stranded!

It's not something you'd want to happen but I have driven off the moors and made it home with a smashed battery before :ph34r:

Also it was interesting that though it was a very heavy landing (the truck was airborne at the time) that caused the battery to fail the truck kept running and it was only later in the day when I went to restart it that I noticed something was wrong.

It's not something you'd want to happen but I have driven off the moors and made it home with a smashed battery before :ph34r:

Also it was interesting that though it was a very heavy landing (the truck was airborne at the time) that caused the battery to fail the truck kept running and it was only later in the day when I went to restart it that I noticed something was wrong.

The joys of a diesel :D

bobzilla, this is where I'm moving the batterybox on my 90 although, unlike you, I'm only partially sinking it so the top level with the top of a mounted 8274. Having looked and done some measurements I think I worked out lowering it 150mm would be safe but I honestly can't remember. As others have said you should deffinatly allow for hitting the bumpstops and, if you want to be on the safe side, the chassis. The last thing you want to happen is loose a spring and bumpstop and then have the A-frame hit the box and smash the batteries leaving you stranded!

Thanks Will. I think I'll test it without springs etc as suggested. Mine is partway thru thye floor already, but the floor sits higher on a Tomcat because of the spaceframe. It's possible I don't need to drop it all the way. Will keep you all posted on the outcome. Many thanks!