First ever LR breakdown! Gear linkage?

After having been a LR owner for about a month, I had my first breakdown. From the beginning, I have had the feeling of the High/Low lever not being very distinct. Suddenly, on a dirt road in the middle of the forest, it chose not to work at all - I could not engage neither high or low gear. Moving it back and forth it feels like moving something in a bowl of spaghetti. No noise nor smell. A friend towed it to an old barn nearby and I will go back there tomorrow to hopefully establish what is wrong.

I hope it is just something with the gearing linkage? I have never worked with the transmission, ever. I tried to find information on how to access the linkage in my Haynes manual and in the Workshop manual but did not get any wiser. Is there something I need to know or something that is counter-intuitive when I get at it tomorrow?

Any input highly appreciated!!!

It sounds like the little grub screw that fixes the hi/lo lever to the selector has come loose . Accessed through the middle seatbox cover , it's the small housing bolted to the top of the t/box on the right upper with the rod attached to it . Remove the rod then the housing . There should be a dimple in the shaft to locate the grub screw . Loctite and tighten and re-assemble.

cheers

Steveb

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, steve b said:

It sounds like the little grub screw that fixes the hi/lo lever to the selector has come loose . Accessed through the middle seatbox cover , it's the small housing bolted to the top of the t/box on the right upper with the rod attached to it . Remove the rod then the housing . There should be a dimple in the shaft to locate the grub screw . Loctite and tighten and re-assemble.

cheers

Steveb

Thanks a million Steve, hope you're right as this sounds fixable...

If it's a Puma TDCI with the 6 speed box then these can be tricky in that the hi lo lever can feel as though it is fully engaged in the detent when in fact it's not which can lead to the transfer box suddenly and unexpectedly jumping out of gear when drive is taken up.

Tdci's have also been known to loose the linkage adjustment too.

As David Sparkes says it would be helpful to inform us which model / engine / gearbox you have?