V8 Gas conversion

jules

I am looking at getting a Discovery for Vic to drive for work. We are skint so looking at V8 3.9 and going to convert it.

How much do people generally pay for gas kits and how much to do the conversion - where are the best places to buy the kits?

Also - does anyone have any horror stories we need to be aware of?

Vic doesn't want a diesel as we don't have enough money to buy a TD5 and the rest she finds too slow

I am looking at getting a Discovery for Vic to drive for work. We are skint so looking at V8 3.9 and going to convert it.

How much do people generally pay for gas kits and how much to do the conversion - where are the best places to buy the kits?

Vic doesn't want a diesel as we don't have enough money to buy a TD5 and the rest she finds too slow

I'm not sure about the ins and outs of the EFI part but I have a v. good 80l 4 hole tank and vapouriser (previously on my 3.5 carb) and associated bits up for grabs......? Drop me a pm if you wish.

Can give all details of my conversion if req'd but as I say it was on a carb engine.

However I have seen a 110 V8 with an EFI plenum using the butterfly to regulate the gas flow using the same setup I had. This guy ran just on LPG tho. no Petrol using twin 100L tanks....no room in the back for owt else !!!

Phil.

EDIT; should I add it's now a 200 TDi - got the hump with running out of LPG/lack of rear load space!

Hi, have been running a 96 Disco for a few years now, LPG conversion, now use it for off roading, road vehicle is a 4.6 Rangey, also LPG, first thing, insurance, you'll need a certificate for the installation, that means it has to be done by an authorised dealer or be inspected by one.

second if you can get the multi point injector system, my Disco has the earlier single point system and the Rangey the new multi point system which is sooooo much better, I put twenty quid in the petrol tank about every three weeks and thats on lots of short trips, the new system changes over just so much quicker.

The Rangey i bought from the company that installs LPG systems and I have to say its brilliant, I got chatting to the director, very high brow but a really nice guy, from what I could make out they changed the mapping of the ECU and various other things and I have to say its bl**dy quick and very economical(for 4'6 of V8), if you want it I can dig out his address and number, but it is up in the midlands,

If your serious I can let you have a nose about either of mine, your not a million miles away.

Last thing, no Eurostar for you, banned with gas for some reason.

Cheers Bill

also LPG, first thing, insurance, you'll need a certificate for the installation

I did have this explained to me before I converted first my SIIA then the Rangy but both times the insurance were fine with DIY install and it was disclosed to them as such......

Cheers.

:huh::)

first thing, insurance, you'll need a certificate for the installation, that means it has to be done by an authorised dealer or be inspected by one.

I was told by one garage that it cost them £25 to have an LPG inspection/certification done at a place in Coventry. I presume it could be a bit more and plus VAT to a private individual, but probably not big money. If you need the certificate, phone round and find out how much before you start.

the new system changes over just so much quicker.

Possibly just how it's set up? I've got two LPG converted range rovers on my drive at the moment (one is going to a mate once it's MOT'd) - Jonathan's has an older manual version of the ECU controlled Landi Renzo system in mine, but switches over much quicker. Mine switches faster since I redid the coolant pipes so that the vapouriser is in series before the heater, rather than in parallel with it, so it gets warm sooner. Can't remember if the switch temperature can be altered in the ECU - need to get hold of the software and tinker with a couple of other settings anyway.

I did have this explained to me before I converted first my SIIA then the Rangy but both times the insurance were fine with DIY install and it was disclosed to them as such......

Depends on the insurance company - some want a certificate, others don't. I've heard that fewer want certificates now than used to.

i can recommend www.tinleytech.co.uk, they gave me very good service.

you do not necessarily need a certificate. its not compulsory, it depends on the insurance company (direct line didnt ask for it). In fact there is no official recognised body anyway, i could make a certificate just as valid!