2.6 Alternate fuel pump?

dsstephens

Greetings - I recently gave up my IIa 88 (right after a frame swap!) and I'm acquiring a SIII 109 with the 2.6 as a replacement. Having zero experience with the 2.6, I'm getting discouraged by what I read. However, I'm committed (or will be, I suppose) so there it lays. The vehicle I'm acquiring is in need of a new fuel pump (per curr/prev owner, who is an acquaintance through the local LR club, so I tend to accept that), however, I'm not all that interested in paying 400+ USD for a fuel pump, when I suspect that there's an alternative that can be used. It seems that some electric inline pump should work fine, but what's the experience here with doing this? any recommended part numbers or pressure/flow to look for?

Thanks all

2000 DII (daily driver)

IIa 88 (departed)

III 109 (incoming)

Any facet carb fuel pump will do, the carbed RR's had them too (those that didn't have mechanical fuel pumps)

My 109 was a 2.6, it's a nice engine as long as it's in good nick, if it goes wrong bigtime then you need to weigh up exactly how much you want to keep it orginal, a V8 drops in very nicely (low & back as the six is so long) and saves you about 1/2 the weight of the six :blink:

They crack exhaust manifolds because the casting is so big/long, if it happens I'd consider getting a tubular one made up as they're £100 a pop if you can find one.

Lots of bits are carried over from the Series 1 2.0 engine as it's basically the same thing but with two extra cylinders.

Yup, just to add to the modern Facet, I fitted a Red Top varient and brought it off Ebay for £50, works brilliantly and I mounted it under the seat where the hand brake lever mounts via a bracket:

DSCF2432.jpg

thanks for the replies.

with the facet red top, do you have to use a fuel pressure regulator, or is it just a nearly straight swap?

thanks for the replies.

with the facet red top, do you have to use a fuel pressure regulator, or is it just a nearly straight swap?

IIRC it's pressure is more for 200BHP fuel injected vehicles, but as I'm running a 3.5V8 with a Piper cam that makes the thing fly, it seems to be working bang-on with my twin SU's ;)

Spooky... Just found this thread via a Google search as I'm looking for exactly the same thing - a modern alternative to the OE pump on my six-potter 109. As dsstephens seems to have found, Rovers North want $414 for one. Er... No.... :huh:

I'm still digging so if I find anything definitive I'll post it here. Can anyone confirm for me whether the fittings on the modern Facet pumps are all the same?

Cheers

Luke

Spooky... Just found this thread via a Google search as I'm looking for exactly the same thing - a modern alternative to the OE pump on my six-potter 109. As dsstephens seems to have found, Rovers North want $414 for one. Er... No.... :huh:

I'm still digging so if I find anything definitive I'll post it here. Can anyone confirm for me whether the fittings on the modern Facet pumps are all the same?

Cheers

Luke

Luke you should find a generic electric fuel pump for a carbed truck in most auto supply places like NAPA or Auto Zone for around $60.

John

Luke you should find a generic electric fuel pump for a carbed truck in most auto supply places like NAPA or Auto Zone for around $60.

John

Hi John

My ever-helpful local NAPA store was the first place I tried but they didn't have anything listed for a '73 SIII (naturally) so I went away to do some more digging. In fact their online website does have a modern Facet pump listed for a '67 SIIa 2.6 so they're getting that one in for me. In case anyone needs it the NAPA part number is BK 6101074. It's listed on the site as $112 but my chum in the store said it was $87. It'll therefore be interesting to see what actually turns up - the photo on the site is of the correct cylindrical pump but the part number is listed twice, for the cylindrical pump and for the cube shaped pump also. We'll see... :rolleyes:

Cheers

Luke