New Side steps - Grease them up?

Hi Folks,

About to fit some new folding side steps/rear step to my 1996 Defender 110 CSW

They look nice and shiny at the moment. Suspect that they could do with some treatment now to keep them in good working order for the long run.

Thoughts on best way to keep them going. Thinking of greasingĀ up the mechanism. If so, please could you recommend a product or other ideas?

Many Thanks,

Simon...

If they have an open end tube shove some waxoyl inside. Lots of grease on the foldy bit so it does actually fold when you need it to. Then ensure the rear is folded when not needed, so that when you reverse into a grassy bank you don't drive off with a giant sod of earth precariously balanced on the back. Dont ask me how I know!

Thanks for the commentary. Was also wondering whether I should strip them down, grease, rebuild or just grease up as is.

Good tip for the rear step. Reminds me of when my wife closed the boot on her Ford Focus, trapping a hedge and subsequently removing it from the roots in a car park. She only drove around 80+ miles back home to find my friend and I in fits of giggles on the drive way. Has made good dinner conversation for years.

• Like 1

When I finally got around to folding up my rear step which I hadn't tried to do in 18 months of ownership, I discovered that the flat metal under the rubber had all but disappeared.

The replacement step doesn't feel half as good quality as that one and I doubt it will last twenty years.