300tidi to an LT77

Hi anyone can tell me what is needed to fit a 300 tdi to an Lt77 defender....the old engine is a TD. The Pas Box is a six bolt...will it foul the ennge or no? Cause mine is standard fitment and there is very little clearance,and its a 4bolt, but since this will be fitted with an Lt77 it sits further back.

is there any picture thread about this?

Luwts

Hi anyone can tell me what is needed to fit a 300 tdi to an Lt77 defender....the old engine is a TD. The Pas Box is a six bolt...will it foul the ennge or no? Cause mine is standard fitment and there is very little clearance,and its a 4bolt, but since this will be fitted with an Lt77 it sits further back.

is there any picture thread about this?

Luwts

As far as bolting it to the lt77, i believe you just need to use the fly wheel housing from your td.

Why don't you fit an R380 gearbox? The shift is so much smoother. The gearbox will fit on the existing mountings. You'll need to fabricate new engine mountings though, however, this way you will not need to change the interior panels.

Cause my friend doesn't want to pay that something more, he's paying just for more power delivered from the engine...many offroaders are like that in Malta Reiny :P

Luwts :P

Why don't you fit an R380 gearbox? The shift is so much smoother. The gearbox will fit on the existing mountings. You'll need to fabricate new engine mountings though, however, this way you will not need to change the interior panels.

So it can be bolted than...is it just removing some dowels like the 200 disco one? about tree years ago i fitted a 200 disco with a six box and it cleared everything...since the 300 its not much bigger it should fit.

I simply bolted my LT77 straight to the back of my 300Tdi. OK, we had to miss out a couple of bolts etc but, it's been in there 4 years now with no problem.

HTH

Ivan

Yep. I kept the 300 back plate because it has better seals than a TD. We just offered it up and fitted the bolts where we could. Probably had to clear a couple with the drill and replace some studs with bolts, but no real problems.

HTH

Ivan

all i did was bolt it straight to the lt77 none of the bolts line up on the bottom of the engine but the chevy v8 only bolt in around half of the bellhousing so isnt a majour problem

even the rover one....but that is not an issue, as I can fit whichever I want, my other two questions were, which steering boxes do you have? Does a six bolt fit with this setup? and what mountings are you using?

Mine has the original back plate bolted to a 77 with about 5 bolts holding them together (for the last 13 years or so, so must be ok :) )

With the 77 in the right place the lh mount will line up, then fabricate a mount for the rh side to bolt to the engine (lots of M12 threaded holes on the block to bolt to). I have posted some pics of the mount from mine on here somewhere, you'll have to find them though as I can't remember on which thread I posted them.

Mo