No Spider Alarm 300tdi

Davowales

Hi, Hope someone can help. I'm having problems starting my discovery 300 TDI, when I turn the key the Dash lights come on but nothing happens, also the indicators flash, I thought it was the spider immobiliser, I've stripped down the dash but the spider isn't there, I know mine is an early 300 TDI 1994 VIN... MA103xxx, I'm at a bit of a lost now and Im hoping somebody could point me in the right direction. Thanks

1 minute ago, BogMonster said:

The older ones don't have a spider, different alarm system. Sorry, I don't know much about them.

Yep, what he ^^ said.  There is an alarm/immobiliser unit above the passenger foot well, behind the glove box.  The challenge is identifying the fault!  I'd start (of you can) by simply replacing the alarm unit.

Alarm unit.JPG

• Like 1

The passive immobiliser (spider) came in with the TA VINs, the active system that u have can be set and unset with the key in the drivers door lock, or a fob if u have one, fobs were an option on some models so u don't really need it if it's faulty as u can still use the key.

So have u tried unlocking with key and fob?  does the central locking work ok as that also controls the immobiliser function.

Hazards flashing has nothing to do with immobilising,  and will only when alarm has been activated along with the horn sounder, so possibly your security system in stuck in an alarm condition and the sounder part isn't working.

Are u sure your vehicle is immobilised and it isn't a iffy link to the starter or switch. Other than u or someone needs to do some testing.

• Like 1

Don't know if you're still having this problem, but this could help.

I'm not sure if the older system has it, but the later D1 alarm systems have a crash sensor in the alarm unit, which can (in)conveniently be activated by the passenger kicking the footwell in just the right place, which in turn activates the hazard lights.
Deactivation, if I remember, is turning the ignition off, then on to activate the dash lights, then back off, then on again, and it should deactivate the hazards.

As for the lack of starting, it could be linked to the crash sensor, but its not definite.
That could just be a dodgy wire as stated above.

HTH

Sy

Thanks for all your help, there is so much going on underneath the passenger glove compartment that I went back to basics. I cleaned and stripped the drivers side door light switch, still no joy and eventually I found the fault with the central locking activator on the drivers door.
So I disconnected the central locking inside the door and used a cable tie to hold the activator fully open, I put it all back together including the dashboard that I didn't really need to take apart anyway............... and it started first time..
Thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it.

I had exactly the same issue with my '99 Disco Commercial. It seems the very late vehicles don't have a spider either. In an attempt to rid the car of some of the troublesome electronics, I ended up removing the immobiliser ECU and and running a new ignition feed to the starter motor and removing the immobiliser from the fuel pump. I lost the central locking in the process, but not a big issue when there are only 3 doors.

Pete.