I'm building a Range Rover hybrid, 2WD/4WD, FWH Nissan 4.2 Diesel

willfromsussex

the Patrol handbrake is on the end of the transfer case, same as a Range Rover. Its literally a case of running the cable through a hole in the floor and bolting the lever to where you want it on the floor. (with a reinforcing plate underneath) The patrol has the trans tunnel running further back, therefore the cable disappears under the floor very near the lever, but the rangey has a flat floor at the back so the cable may have to be above the floor , if you see what I mean. Either that or I suppose modify the lever so that the cable goes in frontways instead of out the back, OR, recess the lever into the floor and keep the whole cable below floor level. Hmm, got me thinking now.

heres a photo of the transmission and transfer assembly

rangetrol-trans.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
the Patrol handbrake is on the end of the transfer case, same as a Range Rover. Its literally a case of running the cable through a hole in the floor and bolting the lever to where you want it on the floor. (with a reinforcing plate underneath) The patrol has the trans tunnel running further back, therefore the cable disappears under the floor very near the lever, but the rangey has a flat floor at the back so the cable may have to be above the floor , if you see what I mean. Either that or I suppose modify the lever so that the cable goes in frontways instead of out the back, OR, recess the lever into the floor and keep the whole cable below floor level. Hmm, got me thinking now.

heres a photo of the transmission and transfer assembly

rangetrol-trans.jpg

so will, any updates? keen to see how you're getting on with your project.

HI, well, I cut a hole in the top of the petrol tank open with the plasma and planned how to do the diesel pipework, I measured up the propshaft and sent it away for lengthening, bought some spare parts, like a new tail lamp, a new bulkhead (what a find!) and some window channels and stuff. I had the vehicle out of the garage so I could tidy the place. (that took two days! )

I got hold of some Patrol camber correction bushes for the front and am just putting those in at the moment , and I also found a load of extra work for myself.. took the whole RH swivel assembly apart because it was leaking oil and grease around the ball part whatever that's called. Looks like it's had water in the casing there as the bottom swivel bearing is pitted to hell, so I am trying to get hold of some bearings as well as seals etc. (Easy to work on but not quite as easy and cheap to get bits for as Range Rover axle!)

rangetrol-hub-camber-etc.jpg

Unfortunatley the Patrol Donor vehicle was a right shed, (i am convinced it was used for launching boats in the sea) which is why it was cheap I suppose, ho hum.

Few more pics. Measuring how much longer to get the prop made.

rangetrol-prop-not-reach.jpg

Aligning camber bushes with the template they came with.

rangetrol-camberbushes3.jpg

installed using a vice (hard work!) and arm back on vehicle (just waiting for the paint to dry on the other arm before putting the bushes in)

camberbushes7.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I thought you'd forgotten about me :)

I've been doing boring stuff like putting the hub back together, rebuilding the brake calipers, (got them replated) skimming the discs and also figured out how to wire up the wiper motor. (Harder than you'd think)

rangetrolcalipers-etc.jpg

Hope to get the fuel tank finished this coming week.

its always the small jobs that take so long.

my love of scrapyards leads me to sticking stuff on my land rovers from other cars which shouldn't be there and that takes sooo much longer than you first think. i can't imagine how long putting in the contents of a nissan patrol in the wrong body takes.

those brakes look huge, i can see why people are pleased with braking improvement when they do a gq front axle swap on land rovers.

anyway, keep at it, it should really be an ace thing when its complete.

• 3 weeks later...

Done a few things. Finished making the fuel tank, modded the rear of the floor where the park brake drum is, and made a hole for the wiring to go through the bulkhead at the side, and have also done most of the engine bay wiring. (We now have headlamps, horn, front indicators etc) , Also added 2 inches to the six body resting points ready for the main bodyshell when it sits back on on its 2 inch blocks.

rangetrol-oct2008.jpg

• 1 month later...

keep those progress pics coming.

looking better, slowly but surely. sometimes think i might more excited by the progress than you, especially as viewing pictures of someone else's work doesn't involve shouting and swearing and throwing spanners when somethign doesn't fit or resolving a problem in one area raises another conflict somewhere else.

think you might need a new custom carpet though...

• 4 weeks later...

Well I painted the fuel tank.

rangetrol-fueltank.jpg

And I've been pulling the heater core out of the casing and cutting and drilling it to modify it. Plan is to get the pipes coming out the side of the heater instead of the front, there's a cylinder head right in the way of where it would be .

rangetrol-heatermod-02.jpg

Where's my solder?