engin swap in classic

zieba

Hello;

I've just bought 88' classic with non running engine and I thinking to change it for some other ( it not must be LR engine ). Maybe you have some experiences about engine swap in classic. Now is 3,5 V8 with automatic gear.

Thanks !

i have done and owned a few,

daihatsu 2.8 td is a good easy fit with good pulling power, good economy

perkins 4236 3.9Litre, good torque and pulling power, bit limited for road use as it does`nt rev that high, although if you tweek the pump you get an extra 500rpm..its a heavy engine, very reliable though and will last forever!

GMC v8 diesel, i had one of these in my rangerover for years, it was great, its heavy! but will pull a house down, so much low down grunt, i could pull from almost stand still in top, was great on fuel as its not working that hard pulling a rrc, have to treat the rr running gear with care though as it will destroy the gearbox diffs halfshafts etc, best fitted in auto form so drivetrain doesnt have such a hard time.

if you change to diesel make sure you get the torque converter to suit your auto.

Hello;

I've just bought 88' classic with non running engine and I thinking to change it for some other ( it not must be LR engine ). Maybe you have some experiences about engine swap in classic. Now is 3,5 V8 with automatic gear.

Thanks !

do you mean it must be a LR engine or dosn't have to be

i am planing on braking my 200TDI disco when i get my new RR.

Get hold of a running V8, blip the throttle a few times and get used to the low mpg :lol: Depends what you wnat the RRC for, fortunately I have a second car so its realy only the lack of range to a tank that I find a problem.

The land rover TDi has a lot going for it, though the 300 in the discovery I did my trailer test in was not particuarly spritely when starting of with a trailer on the back. The 200 TDi in my farthers RRC is better when pulling away, but having got used to an auto, the manual is not nice to change back to. Thats mainly due to the backlash every time you change gear.

Just put a 200tdi in my RR replacing the mighty Nissan Patrol six cylinder diesel, but the 200tdi is as economic has a five speed Disco box and has made it a very nice machine to greenlane in. It wasn't very difficult just using Disco parts radiator intercooler etc, cut the engine mounts off the Disco and weld onto the RR chassis.

thanks for answers !

My main problem with RRC is I live in german/polish border here's no knowlege, no parts about this car. Even you find some the price is terrible. I have P38 and about it is mostly ok, but about classic forget it, if you want this car you have to advice by yourself. I'm really think to put him some bmw or mercedes engine - we have full of them here.

I'm very glad I find you, you've knowlege which I really need here ;)

Here is the translation from swedish:

300D kit

This kit fits Range Rover (and Land Rover with V8), for switching to Mercedes Benz 300 D and 240 D 3.0. The kit contains all the necessary parts for easy mount engine. It is not included in the kit and the customer must do is, in principle, electrical connections and hose spin. A detailed job description included in the kit.

Diesel engine is mounted slightly tilted to the right, to start the engine must go in for abstraction in the flywheel housing. The engine can fit in otherwise good in the space available. An outlet in the upper part of the torpedo the wall must be made to remove the valve cover on the valve adjustment. Instructions for this is included in the description.

As the coupling used Mercedes original with a slight modification of lamellcentrum, also used Mercedes original starter motor, generator and fuel filters. All diesel engines require a return line to the tank, this is already standard on the cars.

Have the car used car's steering servo pump, mounted on a bracket manufactured after drawing in the instruction.

The kit contains the following elements:

- Adapter Plate

- Support Stock (mounted in the crankshaft).

- 2 motor mounts for installation on the engine.

- 2 motor mounts for installation in the existing engine mounts in the frame (no welding or * other modification needed).

- Exhaust system (from the muffler and into the engine compartment).

- Detailed job description with sketches and tips.

300 D /Dt 6 cyl

Mercedes Benz new 6 cyl diesel (with and without the turbo) is well suited to in the Range Rover. The kit is at the time of writing developed for the Range Rover, which has 4-speed automatic transmission (model year -86 and newer). Development of the kit for the manual transmission is ongoing.

The engine is well suited in the Range Rover, only a small modification of the front cross-beam is needed. The remaining oil filter in the rear of the engine left side ports after installation in the torpedo wall upper protruding part and replacement of oil must be done by the entire oil container removed from the engine, the filter is changed and the container is mounted again. Alternatively, the filter is moved to another site. Mercedes engine originalhjÀlpagregat as power steering pump, brake vacuum pump generator, starter motor etc are used in the Range Rover.

AB Svensk Automobiles approve alterations to the diesel Range Rover, but the rules can always change, the buyer assume responsibility for rebuilding through contact with the technical inspection before the conversion starts.

The kit contains the following elements:

- Adapter Plate

- Adapter for mounting a turbine (torque converter) inc. Special bolt

- Engine Fasteners (original strongholds in the context used)

- Build Description