Discovery 1 coils on Discovery 2

BogMonster

What are the views on the suitability of fitting Discovery Tdi rear springs onto a Discovery 2?

Availability is the key (i.e. the D2 springs aren't) - this is as a potential replacement for a set of deflating air springs but all that is available right now is D1 rears, I'm not sure how the rear axle weight compares from a D1 to D2 at typical kerb weight - I have the max rear axle weights somewhere but that doesn't really help.

Any thoughts please? Would it work or not?

Type approval blah is not an issue all I need to know is whether it would sit at about the right ride height.

wish i could give you some useful info - but i have been searching high and low for the spring rates and lengths for D2 rear springs (coily versions) for some time with zero success.

I bet their aint much difference between a D1 heavy duty rear spring and a normal D2 rear spring - as the D2 is a bit heavier but both appear to have about the same ride height........

The springs will physically fit as some people have converted them using 90 spring plates. It's just the free length / poundage and the consequent ride height that I am uncertain about. I'm guessing it will probably be OK as the D2 is probably only the same as a D1 with a fat person in the back but I don't want to get the springs on there and find out it drags its butt along the road like a 20 year old Range Rover on its original springs.

be a trail breaker bogmonster - get some disco1 standard, HD and milly rear springs from your local parts supplier on a sale and return basis and try all 3 out and see what ride height they sit at compared to normal disco2 air bags and post the results back.

afterall, its the at rest ride height thats most important and should give a general indication of if they`re about right.

yeah i know, poundage and length affect ride height - but there aint alot of difference in free length between the springs above, jsut poundage so should give us a fair idea of compatibility.

From my Kilen spring book, we have the following data;

Disco 1 Dt 16.50 Dy 154 L0 427 (Not sure what the Dt & Dy are, but i'm guessing the L0 is length)

Disco 2 RH Dt 16.50 Dy 151 L0 396

Disco 2 LH Dt 16.50 Dy 151 L0 400

So from that, i suspect that the Disco 1 springs will give you approx a 1" rear lift.

Kilen ones are available at the moment too 69061 &69062 are the part numbers.

1) why not use D2 air springs - because we don't have any air springs here it will take a month to get them ex UK and cost a fortune

2) why not use D2 coil springs - see 1)

Quick solution required before the air suspension compressor gets bored with a duty cycle 20x what it was designed for and lets the smoke out!

Thanks Al :)

D2 rear coil spring data from the manual:

post-1725-125390271623_thumb.jpg

If you'll compare the pre 04 MY D2 spring data to the D1 springs http://www.members.shaw.ca/jbarge/springinfo.html#OEM and http://members.shaw.ca/red90/NRC8044_5.html you'll see they closely match except the wire diameter, 16.5 vs 15.2. So the D1 spring rate is smaller.

I don't know how much the D2 rear will sag with the D1 springs (say 1 inch?). It will certainly feel bouncier and they will bottom out sooner.

You can fit spacers to correct the ride height if you have or can fabricate some (even from hard wood - boil them in oil and they will last a couple of years).

I would consider this as a temporary fix until the next ship can bring an original D2 set.