Td5 broken crank pulley

Ihatediscoverytd5s

The other day I heard a loud bang under the bonnet I stopped the car and looked and I found the damper had sheared off completely smashing the viscous fan and the shroud luckily that was all

Has anyone come across this before

My problem now is removing the pulley where the damper is bolted on it has all sheared off

HELP with this would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Maverick asked for a photo

I've attached one

This is my 2nd engine in 2 months

1st engine oil pump bolt

2nd engine oil pump chain snapped

So hopefully you can understand why I'm a little cheesed off with td5s

Back to this problem

I have managed to undo the pulley bolt

I can still turn this engine over by hand with relative ease

So I have pulled the front of the engine off

And I am going to put a new chain and sprocket on for oil pump and a new chain guide

Touch wood it may come back to life thanks for showing an interest.

post-113594-0-90308200-1472471211_thumb.jpeg

Ok that's a new one! Do you know the history of the engine? Could it be a replacement pulley and if so any idea where it came from. Maybe someone put undue leverage on the flanges when they were tightening the pulley bolt, or perhaps it just a poor quality part. The sheared metal all looks evenly fresh though so it looks like it just let go at each of the three points simultaneously.

Yup, new one for me too! good picture!, glad you managed to get it off, I presume the pulley then popped off with some gentle leverage.

I wonder if the flywheel had been installed with bolts that were a tad too long that could have potentially caused some cracking in the pulley casting...?

• 1 year later...

Hi. I have similar issue. Interested in knowing how you got the crank pulley bolt out ... mine has been missing the damper for an indeterminate period of time (since before my ownership) and now I have reason to remove the front cover (automatic adjustable timing chain guide is broken) but cannot as I have discovered today that the crank pulley looks almost exactly like yours did after breaking the damper off.

I'd appreciate any words of help that you can give.

Hi. I have similar issue. Interested in knowing how you got the crank pulley bolt out ... mine has been missing the damper for an indeterminate period of time (since before my ownership) and now I have reason to remove the front cover (automatic adjustable timing chain guide is broken) but cannot as I have discovered today that the crank pulley looks almost exactly like yours did after breaking the damper off.

I'd appreciate any words of help that you can give.