Gearbox dismantleization

v8bertha

The gearbox on my Camel Freelander (2ltd diesel L series) stopped working just before Christmas, lost all drive in 5th gear and makes a lot of grumbly graunchy noises in other gears... soimething tells me the 5th gear coggy bit may be busted!

Anyway I thought I'd take said gearbox apart for a laugh to see what's broke. I've undone all the bolts around the bell housing and I can separate the gearbox from the bellhousing by about 15mm max and that it, it won't come apart any more.

Has anybody taken one of these boxes apart before? Have I missed something like a secret bolt thats hidden somewhere? Or do I need to somehow get the selector shaft out first?

Any pointers would be massively appreciated.

Dan :)

Any pointers would be massively appreciated.

Not sure anyone should be encouraging you but my guess is you need to remove the bolt that secures the reverse gear idler shaft.

Is it too late to suggest you RTF(RAVE)M ? :P

I'm not telling you where the bolt is, in the hope you'll have to open the manual :lol:

Dave

Hi.. I have had these gearboxes apart 2 or three times.. Nothing to be afraid off. You just need to know a few things..To split the gearbox there is a hidden circlip on the output shaft holding you back.It is covered by an round access plug located near gearbox oil plug..I have some pics if you send me your email address. Hope this helps..Ruud

:lol:

Thanks Dave... I'm working on the theory that the box is stuffed anyway and the input shaft would make a dandy clutch alignment tool ;) and other bits like cogs and stuff will make great toys for the baby when its born!!

RTFM indeed... That would involve me having to find my rave CD's which are safely packed away in a box somewhere after we moved house :( And besides its always easier to ask those in the know init ;). I wonder if the reverse gear idler shaft is that really big allen head bolt on the back of the box that I can't undo cos I don't have an allen key that big?!?!? :unsure:

Should I pop into Halfauds on the way home tonight?

Cheers

D :)

Hi.. I have had these gearboxes apart 2 or three times.. Nothing to be afraid off. You just need to know a few things..To split the gearbox there is a hidden circlip on the output shaft holding you back.It is covered by an round access plug located near gearbox oil plug..I have some pics if you send me your email address. Hope this helps..Ruud

Thanks Ruud... PM on its way ;)

Okey dokey... for anyone thats interested...

After a bit of :rtfm: I found the sneaky little circlup under the 14mm allen key bolt thingy. This is all that was stopping me from getting it apart... Thanks to Ruud for the Rave scans and Dave for pointing out that perhaps I should have looked there in the first place!! :blush:

Anyway, before taking it apart I noticed that the gearbox mount had been slightly "modified" :blink:

This was obviously to stop the gearbox floppin' about after the casing had broken.:hysterical:

And then when I finally got it apart I was greeted by this mess!! The whole 5th gear cog has been worn away, and the bearing that sits directly above it was in bits too :rolleyes:

Who said Camel Freelanders didn't have a hard life! :D

post-136-126471260115_thumb.jpg

post-136-126471268607_thumb.jpg

post-136-126471293817_thumb.jpg