tdi 200 in a light weight

james.lw

any one have some ideas of a lightweight with at tdi thank u for your help guys

Im doing it at the moment (dico tdi) but also with an lt77+lt230

the biggest problem is that even if you rotate the turbo housing on the turbo you still have a small clearance for the waste gate actutator against the wing.

other than that. its like fitting it into a normal series

There will be one on the Lightweight Club stand at Gaydon this weekend and at Driffield the following weekend. Come and have a look if you are about, the owner lives in Yorkshire and is quite happy to pass on any info.

There will be one on the Lightweight Club stand at Gaydon this weekend and at Driffield the following weekend. Come and have a look if you are about, the owner lives in Yorkshire and is quite happy to pass on any info.

Their profile says Malta so I guess it might be a bit of a hike, lol. :)

Ar well, it doesnt mean that they might not be in the country, but anyway if you want the contact details let me know and i will have a word with the owner who i am sure would be only too happy to communicate with you.( must remember to check profiles more carefully)

• 4 weeks later...

hi i'm coiling d lightwieght and i'm making the a frame

there is somebody to show some pic of this cos this is is my first time

i'm making this work

I'm was thinking to make a 6mm plate is this a good idea?

thank u guys :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys,

An updates on the above?

I am considering replacing my V8 with a 200tdi but there seems to be a problem of were to fit the intercooler. Can other visionaries give me some ideas?

Saw one in LRO that used a Rover 620 intercooler but i would have thought that would be smaller than that of the original.

I was considering fitting a TD5 in front of the radiator, thereby eliminating problems with trying to fit it alongside the radiator. (I was looking to fit the turbo outlet on the long run to the far end of the intercooler).

Forgot to mention, my LR LW is a 3.5 V8 4 speed auto BW transfer box, fitted to a Designa coil chassis.

Was reading another thread and it suggested that it is near enough impossible to remove a V8 and fit a tdi on the front of an auto http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...tdi+lightweight

I thought it was just a matter of changing the bellhousing and fitting a different torque converter.

Would prefer to fit a 200tdi with a defender LT77 and 230 but to keep things simple initially would just convert engine!

Plus i currently do not have a LT77 in my possession yet.

Have you guys finished your install or are they still ongoing projects? (arent they all!!!)

Like to hear your thoughts. Pics would be great also.

Cheers.

I looked at a LW fitted with a Defender 200TDi & R380 box a few years ago, it was bulit by Buryas Bridge Garage near Penzance Cornwall, the info sheet on it said it was bulit to order for a female customer, the LW was bright yellow full station wagon, with IIRC a black cloth finish to the seats/dash & full hard wearing water resistant matting, it looked really smart. no idea where it is now though.

Hi Guys,

An updates on the above?

I am considering replacing my V8 with a 200tdi but there seems to be a problem of were to fit the intercooler. Can other visionaries give me some ideas?

Saw one in LRO that used a Rover 620 intercooler but i would have thought that would be smaller than that of the original.

I was considering fitting a TD5 in front of the radiator, thereby eliminating problems with trying to fit it alongside the radiator. (I was looking to fit the turbo outlet on the long run to the far end of the intercooler).

Forgot to mention, my LR LW is a 3.5 V8 4 speed auto BW transfer box, fitted to a Designa coil chassis.

Was reading another thread and it suggested that it is near enough impossible to remove a V8 and fit a tdi on the front of an auto http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopi...tdi+lightweight

I thought it was just a matter of changing the bellhousing and fitting a different torque converter.

Would prefer to fit a 200tdi with a defender LT77 and 230 but to keep things simple initially would just convert engine!

Plus i currently do not have a LT77 in my possession yet.

Have you guys finished your install or are they still ongoing projects? (arent they all!!!)

Like to hear your thoughts. Pics would be great also.

Cheers.

hi i'm now fitting the 200 with the gearbox but i was thinkink to put every thing a bit to the front to use the original

prop shaft on the rear .

What u thing guys any other ideas pls?

;)

hi i'm now fitting the 200 with the gearbox but i was thinkink to put every thing a bit to the front to use the original

prop shaft on the rear .

What u thing guys any other ideas pls?

;)

If you use the original rear prop, there be less than about 10mm clearance between the pulley and the front cross member. that was my original intention. In the end i gave up and had a 20mm shorter one made

If you use the original rear prop, there be less than about 10mm clearance between the pulley and the front cross member. that was my original intention. In the end i gave up and had a 20mm shorter one made

i see but i was removing the middle cross member to have more articulation a make a cross member under the gearbox

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job you are doing... i would have left the lightweight with parabolics to keep a bit of it's character, but still with the tdi and 5pseed box will be a nice drive.

you built a new bulkhead right?? looking good !!

well done mate !!!!!!!

now engine in place .I use 200 mounting

All looks good.

What 200 mounting are you referring to?

Just wondering what length of the propshaft you expect to end up with. Mine is a very long front and a very sort rear. 15" & 36 respect. I have some vibration from the front but i was thinking that the v8 auto used a solid prop??

Also have changed the rear ujs twice in 3 years. Quite fast with the low miles i do.

I am currently running a v8 4speed auto with a Borg Warner transfer box. I hope to replace this with a 200tdi Def 5speed box with 230 transfer box.

Have you come up with any ideas on type of intercooler or placement? Is it a 2A or 3?

Looks like you modified an original chassis rather than go for a designa Could you add a few more pics, just wondering what engine/box looks like in overall length of chassis.

What is length of gearbox from bellhousing to backplate mating to end of handbrake drum/prop mount.

MECCANO: What length props did you end up with?

Any other interested parties out there? I am sure there are more of these 200tdi lw in existence, (or in pipe dreams!!)

Cheers.

I shortened the rear by 20mm (meaning i got some one to do it)

The front is a standard defender prop

Pictures explain better than words, so bare with me

Comparison old rear/ new rear

HPIM0611.jpg

Inposition

HPIM0612.jpg

Clearance on the front prop ( I added a scollop like s3 chassis have- i dont have a pic for that though)

HPIM0468.jpg

The gearbox sits alot lower than james (at the height for standard engine mounts)

HPIM0121.jpg

HPIM0125.jpg

Here you can see the difference in the lengths of the boxes when bolted ot the engine in a standard position ( i moved the whole lot forwards once i bolted them up)

Stock gear box

HPIM0066.jpg

Defender lt77/lt230

HPIM0106.jpg

I found with the gearbox sitting lower, it had jsut about enough room so i could fab a in-keeping tunnel

HPIM1022.jpg

I used a slim rad out of a more modern rover

HPIM0935.jpg

Its going to have a full width intercooler in front of the rad/ oil cooler

This is the clearance after moving the engine forwards 100mm

The 200tdi needs about 40mm extra clearance for the pulleys (its going to be a squeeze)

-The ali pipe has gone now

HPIM0916.jpg