Damned vibrating noises!

Had a very irritating noise on my disco for ages now (years). Had enough of it, so spent the day trying to find out what it was. I'm still stumped...

It seems to be engine RPM related, but only under load (i.e accelerating or going up a slight incline)...most annoyingly, at 30mph in 5th. I can also find it in 4th and 3rd, but not so much in 1st or 2nd. It isn't present when heavily loaded. It was present before and after a 2" lift, gas shocks and polybushes all round were fitted.

Using a camera strapped underneath, managed to work out it was somewhere up front - all hell breaks loose when I strap the camera to the axle, and seems to be passenger side :blink: Anyone had anything like this? Here are the videos anyway...what does the panel think?

Sounds exactly like what I've got. Mine's a 300 tdi. It's hard to tell from the vid, but is a deep rumbly sort of vibration? Almost like you've picked 4th when you should've picked 2nd?

I've narrowed it down to one of two things - it's either because I removed the harmonic damper when I fitted a QT front diff guard, or it's the Southdown steering guard vibrating - or I suppose it could be both... <_<

Hi James,

I had something similar on my Disco a while ago (speed and RPM in a particular gear), it was the front UJ in my case and it would go away if you gave it a spray with WD40 (please don't berate me for it. It was the quickest way to diagnose the problem).

It was knackered and greasing it would only cure it for a short while then return. I replaced the prop shaft in the end due to the amount of wear and the problem went away.

May be worth a quick squirt?

Sorry if doesn't help.

Cheers

G

• 4 weeks later...

If you read the post before yours you will note that the poster claims the same prob was caused on his by a duff propshaft UJ.

In your post you say the front prop is now off due to a duff UJ & the noise has stopped........

You say the mystery deepens????? How about trying a propshaft with good UJ's - even new ones on yours :rolleyes:

Hi James,

I had something similar on my Disco a while ago (speed and RPM in a particular gear), it was the front UJ in my case and it would go away if you gave it a spray with WD40 (please don't berate me for it. It was the quickest way to diagnose the problem).

It was knackered and greasing it would only cure it for a short while then return. I replaced the prop shaft in the end due to the amount of wear and the problem went away.

May be worth a quick squirt?

Sorry if doesn't help.

Cheers

G

I was going to say front prop - either UJ or I had a problem on mine which was the output bearing in the transferbox to the front prop.

Incidentally, how did you manage to hang on underneath while someone else drove? You a stuntman for a living? ;)