Powers of Observation

RPR

... that the owner of the green Defender in the background should strongly consider some larger tires...

Nice V8 by the way... Will probably make your 'stock' 88 go like stink right now.

Are you also increasing your fuel tank?

A Series style Chaff guard, Portal axles, AC Compressor converted to an air compressor (or hydraulic pump).

The GEMS V8 is too obvious to require comment (or excitement, for some!!).

Sadly, it's the fuel injection that I'm all worked up about. On the recent Trans Vermont Expedition (4 days of wheeling from Canada to Massachusetts using only unmaintained Class IV roads or legal trails) the carb gave me no end of trouble with stalling in tricky climbs and, worse, on some hairy descents, leading to much effing and blinding. Time to do what I should have done when the V8 went in the first place.

It's all 3.9 intake junk but underneath is still a 3.5. Original plan was 14cux but now going with MegaSquirt. We shall see how it goes.

Thats funny, well observed.

Nice truck and sounds like a cool trip you just done, did I see that on Expo?

I don't think TVTX 2008 will have been on Expo. A group in New Hampshire recently did a predominantly tarmac based run across the state, still a cool event, and that was posted there. TVTX was essentially all offroad: Oct 23 - 27, 335 miles, 70 trails, and 33 towns traversing Vermont north to south.

It was excellent wheeling but pretty gruelling and VERY cold at the start. We had snow the first day up in the mountains close to the Canadian border but, luckily, no snow at camp the first night even though it was well below freezing. We wheeled about 10 - 12 hours a day but only lost one vehicle; a very cool 80s Land Cruiser munched a 1 ton front diff. Lots of pics here:

TVTX 2008 Photo Galleries - click on individual names for different galleries

404788804_ULSXS-M.jpg

404840611_3Woy5-M.jpg

404862379_cTAN7-M.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

On the compressor, it's a Sandeman style (ie designed to fit A/C equipped Rover V8s, based on a design by (name escapes me) the company that makes the big, old school compressors normally in vertical format, fitted with an integral oiler, and manufactured under license by Kiki Diesel! I found it on Fleabay. If you have a Sandeman A/C compressor equipped RV8, it's theoretically a straight swap. If not (as with my 3.5) it needs a bracket fabricating. The rest of the set-up is all Kilby stuff, braided steel lines, a 5 gallon tank at the rear, over-pressure valve, regulator etc. It is truly wonderful and all thanks to the guru-like abilities of Matt Browne. Unfailing OBA for tyres (8 psi to 25 psi per tyre in @ 1.5 mins) and a working pressure of 120psi. It will run a rattle gun and most other air tools. One of the best mods. The compressor was @ 65 quid. The Kilby stuff was expensive though...

( I have to note that I got a lot of the info on here and that, as I recall, Tony Cordell had posted a good deal of research and explanation about the specs of various compressors - so the credit goes to him and to Matt Browne who made it all work. I, ahhh, "coordinated")

And for Christmas I am giving the Tonka new front wings to replace the bondo, glue, and tin bits that constituted the old ones. But I am replacing them with NAS wings which means they will have the big ugly amber lights....